13.5 hp briggs and stratton NO SPARK

garyd5104October 27, 2009

I have a craftsman riding mower model# 536.270302 with a 13.5 hp briggs and stratton model # 21b807...... It was running fine shut off and parked next time trying to start it would not. Performed checks found no spark present. Replaced the armature/coil and still have no spark.... Any other ideas on what to check???

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
tomplum

Try a new spark plug? I assume you put on the electronic ignition coil? Part #? For this coil to have spark the small "kill" wire must not be grounded. If you were to disconnect the small wire you should have spark. Sometimes folks see the dual use harness and fasten one end down.

Bookmark   October 28, 2009 at 12:23AM
garyd5104

Ok I removed the kill wire and now have spark. So now I suppose I have to figure out what is killing my wire and grounding out the coil. I have bypassed all of the safety switches and still have a ground at the kill wire. The only thing left is the ignition switch?? Do you think that it could have internal short in switch??

Bookmark   October 29, 2009 at 12:27AM
tomplum

"I have to figure out what is killing my wire and grounding out the coil" Exactly. If you don't have a basic multi-meter- pick one up. Could be an ignition switch. There may be a flaw in how you had bypassed the switches... Or maybe it is grounded as the wire comes up behind the starter or through a shroud.

Bookmark   October 29, 2009 at 1:42AM
More Discussions
Kohler Knowledge
I am replacing my 2nd B&S 23HP engine on a Simplicity...
wekjo
Troy Bilt 21inch Push Mower w/B&S Engine
I have an 11A-426A711. I prime it and it starts and...
gordini39
Toro 22" Recycler can't get it started! Please help!
Hi Everyone, So I inherited a 6 month old Toro 22"...
enigma7
Shindaiwa T18 Trimmer TK Carb Rebuild
During the process of cleaning and replacing the diagphrams...
sjsmithjr
2 cycle (Robin) Snapper
Does anyone have any input on whether that Robin 2cycle...
wegrowhair
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™