A Garden in 2010

gardenbug(Canada zone 5)January 4, 2011

A year after our grandson Reed passed away, I began a garden in his memory. It was to be mainly ornamental grasses, but a few Anemone blanda bulbs were added for spring interest. I added a bird bath and orange Echinaceas, some sedum and other items as the spirit moved me.

Here are some June shots:

Then July. Caging became necessary when the rabbits started chewing things.

View from the woods.

August...

September: It is definitely developing into an Autumn Garden.

October

In the wind...

And now I am curious as to how it will evolve in 2011!

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
woodyoak zone 5 Canada(5b)

That sure did a lot of growing this year! Looking good... I love the cloche - Was it just an ornament or protecting something in particular? I think it should stay in the bed all season. It pairs nicely with the birdbath - the bulge in the 'stem' of the birdbath and the curve of the cloche mirror each other nicely.

Bookmark   January 4, 2011 at 6:05PM
gardenbug(Canada zone 5)

I like the cloche too. It was mostly decorative. Then it broke with the first frost! :( I've had it for a long time and will miss it. Maybe I'll find another!
I enjoyed the Amsonia a lot this year, even before it changed color. The Japanese blood grass was fun with it too. The orange Agastache doesn't show up as much as I'd like. I hope it returns next year!
Have you begun your course yet?

Bookmark   January 4, 2011 at 7:47PM
michelle_zone4

What a lovely little garden. You have lots of great colors and texture going on.

Bookmark   January 4, 2011 at 8:38PM
saucydog(z5MA)

I love this little garden with all the textures and colors! I'm sad the little cloche broke, though! Hopefully you'll come across another.

I need to take a cue from you all and photo a garden through a season. I think it could really help me in the winter when I'm wanting to plan for the next season.

Saucy

Bookmark   January 4, 2011 at 9:05PM
yeonasky(z8b VancouverBC)

I love your garden. What a wonderful commemerative to Reed. I think photographing the garden is a great idea, too. Do plan to add anything else? I've seen some great sedum groundcovers that have a lot of the colours you have in the echinacea, etc. That was a nice cloche. Too bad it was not more frost hardy. I'm getting my camera out for next Wednesday , when it's supposed to be sunny again.

Yeona

Bookmark   January 5, 2011 at 2:21PM
triple_creek(z5)

I love Reeds garden too Bug. The textures and colors are just right.

Bookmark   January 5, 2011 at 7:32PM
lmcilhargie

Such interesting and beautiful colors in Reed's garden, Marie. These are colors I rarely use but I really like it. This was it's second year, correct? Next year it should really come into it's own. Beautiful job! Sorry about your cloche.

Bookmark   January 5, 2011 at 10:23PM
drema_dianne(z6OH)

Bug, what a wonderful rememberance for Reed. I love the colors, and the way you have it laid out. Good job!!

Bookmark   January 5, 2011 at 11:01PM
anitamo(5)

A beautiful tribute to Reed. It's coming along so well. I like how you've added interest for all seasons.

Bookmark   January 7, 2011 at 9:53PM
dodgerdudette

Marie, I really look forward to the development of this garden next summer, it's a great combination of plants..keep us posted !

Bookmark   January 7, 2011 at 11:07PM
More Discussions
Which are organic fertilizers and where to buy them.
I'm looking for some organic fertilizers which can...
ycmahesh
Mason Bees)
Does anyone here encourage Mason Bees to stick around...
mikerno_1micha
Are you missing past content?
I went searching for my old comments on GW and according...
prairiemoon2 z6 MA
Zone 10b: Dog Friendly Ground Covering (Creeping Perennial)
I am considering replacing our front lawn (in a gated,...
fraustachowski
Potentilla question
Does anyone have experience with Potentilla fruticosa...
waynez5_ia
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™