What kind of bush is this?

LonelyGoatherdFebruary 25, 2013

Just wondering what kind of bush this is? We've only lived here a year so it was planted by the other owners.

It's a hardy bush and has stayed this color since fall! I just took this picture the other day.

I believe it was just green in the summer but embarrassingly enough I can't remember. I just remember truly noticing it this past fall.

Thanks!

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
tedhort

Nandina domestica.

Regards,

Ted

Bookmark   February 25, 2013 at 7:13PM
saltcedar(Sunset zn 30/usda 8b)

Dwarf Nandina

Bookmark   February 25, 2013 at 7:13PM
LonelyGoatherd

Man you all are fast! Thank you so much! I think I'll have to add a few more of these. I thought only evergreens stayed green all year. These little bushes have been so pretty all through winter.
Thank you again! :)

Bookmark   February 25, 2013 at 8:06PM
Embothrium(USDA 8 Sunset 5 WA)

By evergreens you doubtless mean evergreen conifers, there are also evergreen broad-leaved trees and shrubs.

Such as Nandina domestica. Some other familiar examples you will probably see in Virginia are Quercus virginiana and Magnolia grandiflora.

Bookmark   February 25, 2013 at 8:40PM
LonelyGoatherd

I guess I did mean conifers. I forgot that there are types of evergreens. So I take it that Nandina would be evergreen? It's a really pretty bush. I need to add some more to our yard. This time of year I crave green so much that any green, conifer or otherwise will do!

Bookmark   February 26, 2013 at 1:30AM
flora_uk(SW UK 8/9)

LonelyGoatherd - if you crave green in the winter there are hundreds of shrubs to choose from. You're not restricted to Nandina and conifers. Just check whether something is deciduous or not in your area when you next go plant shopping.

Bookmark   February 26, 2013 at 10:56AM
Leafhead

Check out Ilex, the Holly family. Lots of berries in Winter for the birds. Pretty foliage all year 'round...
Rhododendrons are evergreen and bloom spectacularly in the spring.

Bookmark   February 26, 2013 at 11:12AM
LonelyGoatherd

We've spent a lot of time this past year updating the inside of the house. It was a total fixer upper in and out.
This year I'm ready to tackle the outside. I can't wait. I much prefer gardening to inside remodeling.

bboy that is a good idea. I'm going to see what evergreens grow well here in Central VA when choosing my landscaping. We did plant a foster holly by the house last year that is gorgeous and we planted two Norwegian pines that are doing very well. But this year we'll really get to work. These little Nandina bushes will definitely be on my evergreen list.
Thanks again!

Bookmark   February 26, 2013 at 11:40AM
Embothrium(USDA 8 Sunset 5 WA)

That was flora, of course.

Bookmark   February 26, 2013 at 1:57PM
More Discussions
Late-blooming aster in a Colorado canyon
I shot this in late September in Cache la Poudre Canyon,...
Joe_Pye
Rosemary exact species name please (Qatar)
Hi Guys Can you please name the exact species of this...
maufie123
Who knows what type of orchid this is?
I keep getting these "Unusual Plant" emails....
Scooby D. Labbé
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™