Pickled Eggs

tibs(5/6 OH)January 31, 2011

I am enjoying a dish of pickled beets, eggs and onions. I don't make this too much because dh doesn't eat them. I usually get them at family get togethers. So I had to look up a recipe. I was amazed to not find it in my 13th edition of Fanny Farmer. So I went on line. I was further amazed to see that not all pickled eggs are purple, i.e., they do not involve beets. Sacrilage! They must be purple and vinegery. I like to pickle onions with them. There has been a minor revolt at the independent living facility where my mother is over the pickled eggs. As she ststed it: "They're not pickled, they're just pink. They didn't use vineger! Are pickled beets and eggs a German heritage thing? So how do you like your pickled eggs?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
jazmynsmom(Z5 Madison-ish)

The fact that I'm more familiar with eggs pickled in beet brine leads me to believe that it is very much a German heritage thing... Pickled eggs absolutely should be very pink, and very vinegary.

Bookmark   January 31, 2011 at 7:00PM
calliope(6)

If they 'ain't' in vinegar, then they're not pickled, are they? It's a very common farm dish here, but then again any way one can preserve extra eggs are. LOL. I am just now catching up on the last of the egg mania before the hens went on strike.

Bookmark   January 31, 2011 at 7:46PM
west_gardener

Lol, one year I decided to fix pickled eggs for a family function. I chose a Chinese recipe that was called something like "One hundred year egg" or "Century egg". As I recall there were beets involved and they turned pink. I placed them among my Deviled Eggs on a tray along with some home grown Italian Parsley. I thought the plate looked very nice and colorful, but there was a "minor revolt" in the family, since I had done a change to their favorite dish.
Who would have thought that eggs would be a controversial topic.

Here is a link that might be useful: Pickled Eggs

Bookmark   January 31, 2011 at 7:55PM
lilod(NoCal/8)

I never did traditional pink/red pickled eggs, but when I had guinea hens - tiny eggs - I hard-boiled them and put them into juice saved from dill-pickles and they turned out very nice. Eggs from Bantam chicks work well also.

Bookmark   January 31, 2011 at 11:19PM
anneliese_32(6)

I don't know if this is a German thing. I never had any there and I just looked through a couple of old cookbooks and could not find a recipe either.

Bookmark   February 1, 2011 at 5:51AM
jazmynsmom(Z5 Madison-ish)

Come to think of it, it might be a German-by-way-of-Russia thing.

Bookmark   February 1, 2011 at 1:34PM
lindac(Iowa Z 5/4)

I think it's Pennsylvania Dutch/German thing....
In my house pickled eggs are pink.

Bookmark   February 2, 2011 at 4:31PM
don_socal

With hot peppers or with beets both good. I think eggs are pickled by many cultures in a variety of ways.

Here is a link that might be useful: Century egg

Bookmark   February 2, 2011 at 10:28PM
More Discussions
Please excuse my tardiness
Power went out Thurday late evening, got back after...
anneliese32
If it isn't one thing...
Seems everyone has a story of weather and related problems,...
lilosophie
Happy Birthday, Don!
Have a great Day, a wonderful year. Wishing you improved...
lilosophie
Quotes 3 - 1 - 15
Drag your thoughts away from your troubles... by the...
don_socal
Quotes 3 - 2 - 15
I was so naive as a kid I used to sneak behind the...
don_socal
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™