A hint of spring.

west_gardenerJanuary 17, 2013

It has been very cold, actually freezing here in Silicon Valley, but today the weather warmed up a bit and the sun was shining so I felt the familiar get ready for spring bug,
The roses have been trimmed, the Hydrengias have been trimmed and they are budding all over the place. The "early" azelias are showing color. The orange tree is still holding the oranges, despite the frost, but I have not tested the "pucker factor" yet, the lemon tree shows some frost damage on the leaves, but it will take a couple of weeks before I can tell the damage.
Our impatients bit the dust, so we went to the nursery to look for violas, but it was clear that they had been hit by the frost, so we passed on those plants.
The nursery had stocked up on bare root roses and there were several people looking for those plants.
Yes, spring is coming,

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
lilosophie

It is a bit early yet, and February usually bring not only rain, but snow - I am looking for the emergence of the early crocus,haven't seen any yet. Nights are still fairly cold, but days are balmy.
Joan is going riding, she and Lil, her riding buddy, went to the Jackson State forest Monday, had a good time, but there was still a lot of ice on the trails. They are going to Lake Mendocino tomorrow, it is more open there and the trails are good.
Chickens are cranking out eggs, the mallards are back on the pond, hints of spring are all over!

Bookmark   January 18, 2013 at 1:47AM
don_socal

Warming up here but not enough to trust it. Still cold in the mornings and the weather underground says it will stay in the mid to upper 70's for the next ten days but nights will be in the low 40's.

Bookmark   January 18, 2013 at 11:15AM
pamven(z5neastindiana)

In these parts one doesnt think Spring until late March at the earliest....

Bookmark   January 18, 2013 at 11:29AM
agnespuffin

Our usual sign that Spring is on the way, is a flowering plum tree of some sort. I have no idea what kind it is, but it is always the first thing to bloom and it leads the way for the others.

The other sign is the tree pollen count (can you say..ah-choo?) The count has been high for a few days now.

We have had an unusually warm spell for January. It was over 80 for three or four days this week. It dropped about 30 degrees down into the 50s yesterday and today is cold (for us, that is, not for most of you) I just bought a long sleeve fuzzy shirt and I wonder if I should buy another. Yes, if it's going to be colder. No, if Spring is really coming early.

Bookmark   January 18, 2013 at 1:40PM
More Discussions
Please excuse my tardiness
Power went out Thurday late evening, got back after...
anneliese32
Quotes 2 - 21 - 15
Life is a lot like jazz... it's best when you improvise. George...
don_socal
Remembering Mitzi
My step-mother had a sister named Lyle. A real free...
gandle
If it isn't one thing...
Seems everyone has a story of weather and related problems,...
lilosophie
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™