I dare you to count the calories

agnespuffinJanuary 13, 2012

Another yummy from the old cook book.

JELLY CAKE

"Beat to a cream, one pound of butter, add one pound of sugar, then add the yolks of 10 eggs, 3/4 pound of flour, and finally add the whiltes of the eggs breaten to a froth. Bake in a shallow tin and put jelly between each layer."

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
tibs(5/6 OH)

But no perservatives in the recipe and all natural ingredients. Probably all home raised- it has to be good for you.

Bookmark   January 14, 2012 at 7:49AM
anneliese_32(6)

Minus the jelly a good old pound cake.

Bookmark   January 14, 2012 at 9:50AM
agnespuffin

I was thinking that it's more like a chiffon cake than a pound cake. Lots of butter instead of vegetable oil.

The beaten egg whites would make it lighter and fluffy. I may have to try this one.

The butter used in that day would probably been home-churned.

Bookmark   January 14, 2012 at 10:13AM
calliope(6)

I just chuckled when you posted this. Before I started cutting back on my laying hens, I would bake concoctions like this to use eggs up so they didn't go bad. First I'd do an angel cake with about a dozen whites, then a pound cake with a dozen yolks. Over and over and freeze the cakes for winter. My daughter makes a lot of cakes using the beaten yolks for levening, instead of baking powder or soda. They're delightful if done right.

Bookmark   January 14, 2012 at 5:46PM
agnespuffin

Really??? I must confess that what I know about cake baking is that you can buy them in a box.

doesn't a lot of egg yolk make it heavy?

Bookmark   January 14, 2012 at 9:34PM
calliope(6)

Oh my yes........I meant to say beaten white for levening. The all yolk yellow cakes were indeed heavy. I guess that's why they call them pound cakes.

Bookmark   January 15, 2012 at 7:52AM
tibs(5/6 OH)

When I have lots of eggs no I don't have chickens - just when they are on sale. I make noodles with the yolks and merangue cookies with the whites. My kids and neices and nephews loved those things.

Bookmark   January 15, 2012 at 8:41AM
calliope(6)

I do the noodle routine too, tibs. My God however, I have had fifty-sixty dozen eggs at a crack to deal with. That's when our local charity kitchen got a good donation and they were thrilled.

Do you have any idea how long it would take to make all those noodles? LOL I used to spend days on end making them as many as my clothes rack would hold at a time. I have had as many as thirty one gallons bags of them in the freezer. I have found if the whites are seperated they freeze quite well. I keep small bags of them frozen to make baked meringues and pavlovas.

Bookmark   January 15, 2012 at 2:59PM
mawheel

31 gallon bags of noodles? That's mind-boggling--for my mind, anyway! Your freezer must be a big one, Suzie.

Bookmark   January 16, 2012 at 8:40AM
calliope(6)

I can so much of my stuff, so I can keep my freezer empty to put stuff one can't can. I keep flours in there, since I buy in bulk and choicer cuts of meat, nuts and specialty items. Most of my fruits and veggies are put up in bottles and in the pantry. I have two freezers actually, one upright and one big, older chest freezer. Used to have two fridges, one soley for eggs. Since I don't sell them anymore, it went bye-bye.

Bookmark   January 16, 2012 at 12:20PM
sara_the_brit_z6_ct

Although we all reeled at the ingredients for the cake, it's worth pointing out that it's so rich you wouldn't (well, I wouldn't) be eating more than a smidgen at a time. It's all about portion control!!!

Bookmark   January 17, 2012 at 12:32PM
west_gardener

I agree with sara_the_brit about portion control.

Bookmark   January 18, 2012 at 8:24PM
calliope(6)

Portion be d***ed. Smack some ice cream on that sucker and shove it over.

Bookmark   January 18, 2012 at 11:14PM
west_gardener

There is a European Bakery downtown San Jose, CA that is fantastic. We peeked in there when we were there last month. I can't wait to visit and try some or all of the goodies. Take a look at the photos below.

Here is a link that might be useful: European Bakery Pics

Bookmark   January 19, 2012 at 7:29AM
agnespuffin

W A R N I N G!!!!! Do not look at the site, European Baker Pictures, on an empty stomach.

Oh, sooooo wonderful. I think that if I should ever do a cross country tour, that bakery would have to be on the list of places to see.

Bookmark   January 19, 2012 at 10:42AM
More Discussions
Quotes 2 - 23 - 15
Weakness of attitude becomes weakness of character. Albert...
don_socal
Happy birthday Robin and Pam
My partner for b'day along with Pam. Three threes...
don_socal
More rain.
We need it, looks like the next three or four days...
don_socal
Quotes 2 - 25 - 15
It suddenly struck me that that tiny pea, pretty and...
don_socal
Quotes 3 - 3 - 15
Late afternoon on the West Coast ends with the sky...
don_socal
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™