Please help what is this ?

lubydoo86March 4, 2014

Hi I have just moved into a new property and have found the attached photo plant growing although I have no idea what it is ! I live in England sheffield ( so not overly warm ) and has starting growing in the past few weeks so coming Into spring , I can see no sign yet of any flowers and the plant has obviously been planted there buy the previous owner in a sunny area .there are loads of exposed bulbs? If that's what they are and a few bulb shells littered around it , any help anyone could give me would be amazing ! Thanks in advance !

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
ken_adrian Adrian MI cold Z5

looks like iris to me

except at about 4 o'clock../ which might look like a hyacinth ... or lily.. hard to tell at that angle ...

there is an iris forum.. should you wish to be highly enabled... lol

ken

ps: and that is how they are supposed to be planted.. on the surface.. dont bury them ...

Bookmark   March 4, 2014 at 10:13AM
floral_uk z.8/9 SW UK

They're Irises and will flower early summer. Alongside, bottom right, you have some Spanish bluebells, Scilla hispanica. The weeds top left are Epilobium parviflorum.

Bookmark   March 4, 2014 at 2:08PM
Paulibadg

I agree that it is probably Iris. Beautiful in bloom but mostly ugly the rest of the year. I think they bloom in the spring and they do like a lot of sun. Division is a snap...just break off a tuber and put it where you want, but make sure most of the tuber is exposed. Just bury the roots and it will begin to work itself into the position it likes. They multiply like crazy. An old-fashioned plant, very common.

Bookmark   March 4, 2014 at 2:19PM
floral_uk z.8/9 SW UK

In Sheffield they'll flower early Summer. As you can see from the picture they're martyrs to snails and slugs here.

Bookmark   March 4, 2014 at 2:27PM

do NOT bury the roots as pauli suggests .. plant them.. like you see them ...

ken

Bookmark   March 4, 2014 at 6:55PM
garystpaul(4)

Ken, I think you misread Paulibadg. He said to leave most of the tuber (rhizome) exposed and to bury the roots. You certainly don't want the roots to be exposed.

Gary

Bookmark   March 4, 2014 at 11:17PM

i sure did.. thanks gary..

sorry pauli

the structure is a rhizome... with roots coming out.. rhizome on top.. roots in mother earth .. [its way early.. i hope i got the rhizome part right.. lol ...]

ken

Bookmark   March 5, 2014 at 7:21AM
More Discussions
pink anthurium
I am looking for the botanical name for my pink anthurium....
linda_leaf z10fla
please name this plant
Didn't know this plant.please name it. Thanks in advance...
Tabi77
Name of succulent
Saw this at a store... anyone know it's name? thanks!...
nanzjade_z5
Silk flower NOID #3
Need help to identify what flower this is an imitation...
donrawson
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™