Sometimes I think we must be the only people on the planet

gandle(4 NE)January 21, 2013

who eat tofu regurly. We just had iridofu for dinner this evening and we like it. Oh, by the way, iridofu means chicken with tofu. At least that is what my friend Hideo tells me.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
mjmercer

I try to get it into my diet as often as I can -- which turns out to be about once or twice a week.

My challenge is that I don't know how to cook it to get around the bland flavor. Any suggestions?

Karen, vegan-in-training

Bookmark   January 21, 2013 at 10:04PM
joyfulbunny

i love eating vegetables. escpecially when it is crisp and fresh, tofu is the best too :)

Bookmark   January 22, 2013 at 5:02AM
west_gardener

Our DS went vegetarian a few years ago, so we went looking for resturants and recipes that we could share.
We found a hole in the wall resturant in a strip mall that has the most wonderful veggi/tofu dishes. Want pork, chicken, beef dishes, you can get it here, but it is all made with tofu.
We luv it.

Here is a link that might be useful: Veggi.................

Bookmark   January 22, 2013 at 7:59PM
mawheel

WG, there is a Carraba's Restaurant in Frederick, MD (about 20 miles from us). We've been there only once, but thought the food was delicious. Guess I didn't peruse the menu carefully enough, b/c I didn't know they had vegetarian fare, unless perhaps, they don't, and it's a specialty of the restaurant near you.

I confess I've never eaten tofu; my taste buds need to be expanded, I think! :>)

Bookmark   January 23, 2013 at 7:39AM
Tiffany, purpleinopp GardenWeb, Z8b Opp, AL(8B AL)

Probably not low-cal but I love a happens-to-be-vegetarian dish at a restaurant we sometimes visit. I think it's called sesame tofu. It's chunks of fried tofu in a fairly spicy sweet/sour sauce and sesame seeds all over it. Extremely delicious, filling, and usually paired with steamed broccoli (which always bumps into that yummy sauce just before I take a bite.) Wouldn't be hard to make at home, where I would blot the fried chunks on paper towels, or try sautee'ing without the batter/breading. As long as there's a little crunch on the edges, I don't think anything would be lost. If anybody else would eat it with me, I'd try making it this way (if I could find tofu to buy, don't think I've seen any around here.) It's not something I've had often but have never NOT enjoyed it. It doesn't have to be a main dish and I'm sure I would find lots of uses for it.

Bookmark   January 23, 2013 at 11:42AM
pretty.gurl(5)

Sometimes I think I am the only person on the planet that loves vegetables. Ha!

Bookmark   January 23, 2013 at 5:30PM
west_gardener

Hi pretty.gurl , and welcome. You're in the right place if you like to grow, cook and eat veggies. What's your favorite veggi?
Mine is fresh green beans straight from the vine to the pot.

Bookmark   January 23, 2013 at 7:43PM
don_socal

Should buy some and start experimenting again. Used to eat it quite frequently.

Bookmark   January 24, 2013 at 11:21AM
pretty.gurl(5)

I don't have one favorite. That is my problem! Currently I am crushing hard on spinach.

Bookmark   January 24, 2013 at 7:36PM
mawheel

I've had to cut back on eating dark green veggies-- broccoli, brussel sprouts, kale, spinach, even dark leaf lettuces, b/c I am taking Warfarin, and those vegetables curtail its effectiveness. I didn't realize how much of them I ate, till I'm not supposed to do so. Even cranberries are now a "no-no"! Which is a bummer, b/c I make a great cranberry sauce. :(

Bookmark   January 24, 2013 at 9:36PM
anneliese_32(6)

Tofu is usually my go-to if my husband does not feel like eating a meal and I don't want to cook meat just for myself, which is about once a week.

Bookmark   January 25, 2013 at 8:41AM
west_gardener

I had to look up Warfarin, because I have never heard about it before.It so interesting to learn about the chemistry re the human body.

Bookmark   January 25, 2013 at 8:21PM
don_socal

Fixing now.

This post was edited by don_socal on Fri, Jan 25, 13 at 21:40

Bookmark   January 25, 2013 at 9:35PM
don_socal

Package of tofu cut small
Eggplant cut 1"
Fried together in olive oil
Add
Red organic rice
Alfredo sauce
Spices
Yum

Bookmark   January 25, 2013 at 9:37PM
More Discussions
Just went to the grocery store
and as we left a woman followed us out by less than...
don_socal
Happy Birthday, Don!
Have a great Day, a wonderful year. Wishing you improved...
lilosophie
Quotes 3 - 1 - 15
Drag your thoughts away from your troubles... by the...
don_socal
Please excuse my tardiness
Power went out Thurday late evening, got back after...
anneliese32
Quotes 2 - 26 - 15
God has cared for these trees, saved them from drought,...
don_socal
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™