Quote Friday, February 3 2012

lilosophieFebruary 3, 2012

Consumer is often equated with "freedom" - to be free to choose - but what? Having to decide between hundreds of items, essentially all the same but for the appearance and packaging is not freedom - real freedom is to walk away from all of it.

>meThis insight happened in the supermarket cereal isle - I have walked away from it and never looked back

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
coconut_nj

I totally understand Lilo. About six years ago when Christy was undergoing cancer treatment, I started getting groceries delivered. Since then, they don't deliver out here any more but you can order online and just pickup. I haven't been in a grocery store in years. I do most of my cooking from scratch. I resent all the packaging as well as the chemicals and processing. Our orders are pretty basic. Pretty freeing.

Bookmark   February 3, 2012 at 2:04AM
anneliese_32(6)

Easier said than done, at least for me. Got to go to the store today, not my favorite chore, but the biggest decision is always what meat to buy since I have a finicky eater. What he liked yesterday and the last 6 month might not be right tomorrow. Geesh.

Bookmark   February 3, 2012 at 7:30AM
lilosophie

I need to clarify: I *have* to go grocery shopping, but I avoid the creal isle and the processed food isles as much as I can, they depress me.
When I look at the sales ads from my local store, there is very little I want to "save money" on, because most of it is not real food.

Bookmark   February 3, 2012 at 10:18AM
mawheel

When I walk thru the aisles of the grocery store, I often wonder, "Who in the world buys these things? How many different choices do we need?" So many hundreds, maybe even thousands, of items from which to choose, and most of them not good for us. :>(

Bookmark   February 3, 2012 at 2:15PM
More Discussions
And just because it is Dr. Seuss Day
The more you read, The more you know. The more you...
anneliese32
Happy Birthday, Don!
Have a great Day, a wonderful year. Wishing you improved...
lilosophie
Quotes 3 - 2 - 15
I was so naive as a kid I used to sneak behind the...
don_socal
Happy birthday Robin and Pam
My partner for b'day along with Pam. Three threes...
don_socal
Quotes 2 - 27 - 15
Grief can be the garden of compassion. If you keep...
don_socal
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™