Unknown possible perennial

gardenper(8)March 31, 2014

This plant grows in the yard every year, but have never seen any flowers. It gets plenty of sun to make flowers if it did need to, but never have seen it with flowers.

It has leaves that look like a daffodil but they tend to remain pointed upwards like in this photo, and do not bend back down, making an arc.

I believe it is perennial since it comes back every year but I am not certain if it's the same plant from some kind of bulb/root or if it somehow multiplies by underground root or seed (but again, no flowers), making new ones in a close location.

It doesn't seem to naturalize well since after many years, there still are only a few plants like this around. In fact, it's quite unobtrusive and that's one reason I have just let it keep growing.

This particular picture shows 2 plants. The double leaves on each plant are about 10-12" tall. Come to think of it, every time I've seen this plant, there has only been these 2-3 leaves per plant for the entire growing season. It doesn't seem to create more as the season goes on.

Thanks!

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
gardenper(8)

I'm looking at some other pics I took of this plant, in combination with the one posted here, and it looks like they all have 3 leaf stalks like this.

Not even 2 but all have 3.

Bookmark   March 31, 2014 at 11:45AM
floral_uk z.8/9 SW UK

Looks like a daffodil to me. If it never flowers you will lose nothing by digging it up and moving it. It may do better elsewhere.

Bookmark   March 31, 2014 at 1:35PM
Embothrium(USDA 8 Sunset 5 WA)

Daffodils. More likely to bloom if fertilized.

Bookmark   March 31, 2014 at 1:39PM
Tiffany, purpleinopp GardenWeb, Z8b Opp, AL(8B AL)

The bulbs may be way too deep. If so, you could dig them up and replant them just a few inches under.

Bookmark   April 1, 2014 at 9:19AM
More Discussions
Late-blooming aster in a Colorado canyon
I shot this in late September in Cache la Poudre Canyon,...
Joe_Pye
Unknown five petaled flower
Growing and blossoming in FLorida now.
zorba_the_greek
Can you please name this plant (Qatar)
I did sow a lots of avocado nearby it looks slightly...
maufie123
Silk flower NOID #3
Need help to identify what flower this is an imitation...
donrawson
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™