Quote February 13th

coconut_njFebruary 13, 2011

I know Abe's birthday was yesterday. He was born February 12, 1809. As I was rechecking my quotes during the week I kept running across Abe quotes so I thought I'd start the week with some of his that I particularly enjoy. Happy 202nd Birthday Abraham Lincoln, where ever you are.

"I care not much for a man's religion whose dog and cat are not the better for it."

Abraham Lincoln

"I destroy my enemies when I make them my friends."

Abraham Lincoln

"If this is coffee, please bring me some tea; but if this is tea, please bring me some coffee."

Abraham Lincoln

"When I do good, I feel good. When I do bad, I feel bad. That's my religion."

Abraham Lincoln

"My dream is of a place and a time where America will once again be seen as the last best hope of earth."

Abraham Lincoln

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
anneliese_32(6)

I agree with all the quotes and have been in a couple of places where the coffee/tea quote would have come handy.

Bookmark   February 13, 2011 at 7:35AM
oscarthecat(z7MD)

Oh My God. Look at that face. The war literally tore him apart. Steve in Baltimore County.

Bookmark   February 13, 2011 at 7:46AM
lilod(NoCal/8)

Thank you, coconut, for starting the week off honoring a true Hero.

Bookmark   February 13, 2011 at 9:32AM
calliope(6)

He is one of those great men, whom if you look deep enough into his past, still impresses you after you peel off the layers and reach the core. I sat here last night at the puter reading some bio on him, including his philosophies when he was a poor lawyer who remained poor because he was reticent to take advantage of the circumstances of his clients. He also had a large dose of humility I wish we could bottle up and pass around today.

Bookmark   February 13, 2011 at 10:30AM
mwoods

I have always been fascinated with him since I was a kid and living in Illinois. I did a thesis on him once. I think one of the best books I have ever read was Team of Rivals which came out several years ago. Lincoln took all the people who ran against him and put them on his cabinet when he was elected. He was such a quietly intelligent person and of course made many mistakes in his life,but I sure would have liked to have known him. Do I have a crush on him or what?

Bookmark   February 13, 2011 at 11:14AM
mawheel

What a great way to start the week! Thanks, Coco

Bookmark   February 13, 2011 at 2:19PM
coconut_nj

I'm glad you all enjoyed this. Marda, I think I've always had at least half a crush on Abe too. Anneliese, Christy LOL's when I read that one to her. Steve, I know, eh? I wanted to find an older pic of him and boy, his life sure shows on his face. Suzy, the more I've read about him the more I admire him. You're welcomed Lilo, I sure think he deserved it. Thanks MWheel. [everytime I see your name I want to go to the area around Wheeling]

Bookmark   February 14, 2011 at 2:21AM
More Discussions
More rain.
We need it, looks like the next three or four days...
don_socal
Finally some Snow in Georgia
We have snow. The ground is covered. The streets are...
janis_b
Dancing with the chickens. Video
DD and GS are taking how to make video classes, and...
west_gardener2
How is your "Cold?"
Right now with the sun shinning and not a cloud in...
anneliese32
Remembering Mitzi
My step-mother had a sister named Lyle. A real free...
gandle
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™