Quote 2 - 26 - 12

don_socalFebruary 26, 2012

"What is life? It is the flash of a firefly in the night. It is the breath of a buffalo in the wintertime. It is the little shadow which runs across the grass and loses itself in the sunset."

Crowfoot, Blackfoot warrior and orator

The Great Spirit is in all things, he is in the air we breathe. The Great Spirit is our Father, but the Earth is our Mother. She nourishes us, that which we put into the ground she returns to us....

Big Thunder (Bedagi) Wabanaki Algonquin

"When it comes time to die, be not like those whose hearts are filled with the fear of death, so when their time comes they weep and pray for a little more time to live their lives over again in a different way. Sing your death song, and die like a hero going home."

Chief Aupumut, Mohican. 1725

"In early days we were close to nature. We judged time, weather conditions, and many things by the elements--the good earth, the blue sky, the flying of geese, and the changing winds. We looked to these for guidance and answers. Our prayers and thanksgiving were said to the four winds--to the East, from whence the new day was born; to the South, which sent the warm breeze which gave a feeling of comfort; to the West, which ended the day and brought rest; and to the North, the Mother of winter whose sharp air awakened a time of preparation for the long days ahead. We lived by God's hand through nature and evaluated the changing winds to tell us or warn us of what was ahead.

Today we are again evaluating the changing winds. May we be strong in spirit and equal to our Fathers of another day in reading the signs accurately and interpreting them wisely. May Wah-Kon-Tah, the Great Spirit, look down upon us, guide us, inspire us, and give us courage and wisdom. Above all, may He look down upon us and be pleased."

Unknown Speaker addressing the National Congress of American Indians in the mid 1960's

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
oscarthecat(z7MD)

The native American was a good bit smarter than we give him credit for.

Bookmark   February 26, 2012 at 5:40AM
anneliese_32(6)

Just was thinking the same thing. You don't need a sheepskin to understand more than 90% of the people do. Living close to the land gives you a greater understanding.

Bookmark   February 26, 2012 at 8:12AM
mwoods

I think the old American Indian quotes are probably my favorites if I had to choose.They show such wisdom and strength and a knowledge of the earth equal to none.

Bookmark   February 26, 2012 at 10:23AM
mawheel

Thanks, Don, great words of wisdom to start the week.

Bookmark   February 26, 2012 at 1:39PM
west_gardener

"When it comes time to die, be not like those whose hearts are filled with the fear of death, so when their time comes they weep and pray for a little more time to live their lives over again in a different way. Sing your death song, and die like a hero going home."
Chief Aupumut, Mohican. 1725
Then there is Robert Frost
Still a Long way to go� Robert Frost
Posted on April 10, 2009 by JamesInDigital

Stopping by Woods on a Snowy Evening
by: Robert Frost
Whose woods these are I think I know.
His house is in the village, though;
He will not see me stopping here
To watch his woods fill up with snow.
My little horse must think it queer
To stop without a farmhouse near
Between the woods and frozen lake
The darkest evening of the year.
He gives his harness bells a shake
To ask if there�s some mistake.
The only other sound�s the sweep
Of easy wind and downy flake.
The woods are lovely, dark and deep,
But I have promises to keep,
And miles to go before I sleep,

Bookmark   February 27, 2012 at 8:06PM
More Discussions
Quotes 2 - 24 - 15
Most visions of extraterrestrial life are actually...
don_socal
Just went to the grocery store
and as we left a woman followed us out by less than...
don_socal
How is your "Cold?"
Right now with the sun shinning and not a cloud in...
anneliese32
Quotes 2 - 22 - 15
Man is a universe within himself. Bob Marley Prejudice...
don_socal
And just because it is Dr. Seuss Day
The more you read, The more you know. The more you...
anneliese32
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™