is this a zucchini plant?

espritbonneMarch 9, 2014

We've just moved into a house that has lots of plants in the yard, but we're just beginner gardeners. We can identify the orange tree and lemon tree by their fruit. :) But this one has us stumped. We thought it might be a zucchini plant, but it seems the leaves for zucchini (on the Google images we've found) are more rounded and not as deep green. Thanks for any help.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
saltcedar(Sunset zn 30/usda 8b)

Acanthus mollis

Bookmark   March 9, 2014 at 2:56PM
espritbonne

Oh, wow. :( That sure seems to be it. Thanks, Saltcedar. I'm just sad because I have a terrific zucchini bread recipe, and I wanted to be able to make tons of zucchini bread. :)

Thanks again for your help.

Bookmark   March 9, 2014 at 3:23PM
ken_adrian Adrian MI cold Z5

if you cant buy a pack of zukkie seeds in march.. and have 10 million zukie by august.. you arent trying too hard ...

i dont understand.. why you can only have it.. if it appears magically in your garden ...

lol

ken

Bookmark   March 9, 2014 at 5:59PM
espritbonne

What?!? I can just buy the seeds? And then by August have millions of zucchini? Awesome. I was afraid I'd have to plant and water them, etc. :-D Thanks, Ken. I've had only marginal success with gardening over the years, so I'm not too optimistic about my chances for success. But yeah, from what I've heard, zucchini stands a much better chance with black thumb gardeners like me than many other plants do. Fingers crossed.

Bookmark   March 9, 2014 at 6:23PM
dirt_farmer(6)

Hi fellow gardeners,
I don't want to rain on anybody's parade but zucchini really uses a lot of your garden resources. I had so many one year I couldn't give em away fast enough. I find zucchini to be completely tasteless and bland. I know that's just my opinion but I do not find it a vegetable worth growing regardless of how easy it is to do so. Do yourself a favor and buy a small zuke from the grocery store, one that is not in a can with other ingredients and you will see what I mean.

Bookmark   March 9, 2014 at 9:01PM
floral_uk z.8/9 SW UK

Yes, but who eats zucchini without any other ingredients, even if only olive oil? That's hardly a fair test - an awful lot of vegetables would fail it. Boiled zucchini - no thanks. Ratatouille, yes please.

And bush varieties don't take up that much space. If you grow a small number of plants and choose a good cultivar they are well worth it. 6 x Jemmer do us fine.

Bookmark   March 10, 2014 at 8:56AM
Suzi AKA DesertDance Zone 9b

Zucchini is very prolific! You will have lots of squash to play with, and plenty for zucchini bread. My favorite way is to slice in half lengthwise, top with grated parmesan and sprinkled with smoked paprika, salt and pepper. Pop under the broiler, and yummmm!!

Bookmark   March 10, 2014 at 9:37AM
espritbonne

Thanks all, for the input. Dirt_Farmer, our family really loves squash of all kinds, prepared in a variety of ways. I buy about 8 zucchinis a week I guess, so I'm hoping I won't have to buy any once my Prolific Plant starts cranking them out. And still have a lot left for my amazing bread recipe. Floral_uk and desertdance, thanks for reminding me of recipes I haven't tried in a while! Mmmmm!

Bookmark   March 10, 2014 at 11:41PM
More Discussions
Trailing Gardenia roots-Ok or diseased?
Got this gardenia plant from a neighbor today. It...
elaineal
does anyone know the name of this weed?
It grows almost like a ground cover in our rose bed....
oxford69
Flower ID: What kind of Gazania is this?
This was a gifted--not as seeds but already fully grown....
frugal_gardening
Tree Identification Please
I have this tree growing near a quince and an apple...
mariahswind
Sponsored Products
Heritage Hammered Copper Watering Can
Signature Hardware
Burbank Sleeper Sofa - BISQUE
$3,299.00 | Horchow
Woven Jute Roll Up Blinds 48 Inch, Width - 48 Inches
$99.00 | Bellacor
ViaVolt 2 ft. T5 High 4-Bulb Output Black Fluorescent Grow Light Fixture with Ti
Home Depot
3D Root Design Plant Fiber Wall Panels (10 Panels Per Box)
Overstock.com
Teal Flip n' Pour Yogurt Container Set
$11.99 | zulily
Safavieh Chairs Silver Ceramic Elephant Patio Stool ACS4501E
Home Depot
Modern Flowers Mirror
$49.99 | Dot & Bo
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™