ID this vine?

sunnysa(8)March 10, 2014

This vine climbs up the wall on it's own but dies back during the Winter. We have it in a pot, but would like to plant it in the ground. We're hoping that it's not invasive. Does anyone know what it is?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
floral_uk z.8/9 SW UK

Appears to be a Hoya.

Bookmark   March 10, 2014 at 4:45PM
carol23_gw

Bignonia ?

Bookmark   March 10, 2014 at 5:08PM
sunnysa(8)

Thanks for the responses. I've searched both options and I guess it looks more like the Hoya plant than the Bignonia. The only thing is, it does not have flowers or any buds at all. We've had it about five years now. It does grow in a kind of 'rope' pattern. It's grown quite tall and we have it in a really small pot. Are Hoyas invasive? Thanks.

Bookmark   March 10, 2014 at 5:44PM
saltcedar(Sunset zn 30/usda 8b)

Hoya won't be invasive in Zone 8 in Texas. Most likely it will die in a colder than average Winter at some point.

Bookmark   March 10, 2014 at 7:08PM
sunnysa(8)

Saltcedar, thanks so much for the advice. I will take extra care of it during colder weather. It really is a beautiful vine and blooms would definitely be a plus! Again, thanks for the responses.

Bookmark   March 10, 2014 at 9:30PM
pirate_girl(Zone7 NYC)

Definitely a Hoya, probably H pubicalyx of some kind. Looks, nice & healthy, you might try some fertilizer in Spring, w/ balanced numbers, like 20-20-20.

They can take a few years to start blooming, but many of us who grow & love Hoyas, love the pretty patterned leaves too. Enjoy.

Bookmark   March 10, 2014 at 11:49PM
alisonoz_gw

I agree with the above posters and it's definitely a hoya. They are really a tropical climber - endemic to SE asian countries and the warmer areas of Australia. Being a little more of an epiphyte than the usual vine, they usually produce a number of rootlets along the length of the "ropes" which aid in support and also aid in absorbtion of nutrients when they are anchored to something like a tree.
So "planting" isn't necessary, and in fact they seem to like to be slightly root-bound, but if they look too crowded go for a larger pot. A well-drained mix like an orchid mix is fine, too.
The usual cause of non-flowering would be insufficient light, though they will certainly survive in very low-light situations. With yours it may be the winter though I have them growing outdoors all year round in hanging baskets in a sub-tropical area of Australia (coolish but nights seldom below 2c though in winter). I'd agree about giving it some potash-heavier fertilizer to see if that boosts flowering. Also once they do so, they always produce flowers from those original points so don't prune those off unless you intend to strike more.

Bookmark   March 11, 2014 at 2:06AM
sunnysa(8)

Thanks, Pirate Girl and Alisonoz for the advice on fertilizing and repotting it. It certainly helps to be steered in the right direction. It has been very healthy and I'll also be going online to try and find some other varieties of the Hoya plants. I appreciate all the input. I can't wait to see if it blooms!

Bookmark   March 11, 2014 at 11:50AM
pirate_girl(Zone7 NYC)

Do you know there's a Hoya Forum (see top of page or Other forums)?

I'm a regular there & likely you'll be able to read up on further care instructions (if you like) & also other varieties of Hoya you might enjoy, as well as possible suggestions for Vendors.

Hoya Forum is a full service Forum where we just LOVE to enable & spread folks' appreciation & interest in our beloved Hoyas ( (I tease, but it's true).

(Pirate_Girl)

a/k/a Karen

Bookmark   March 12, 2014 at 11:34AM
sunnysa(8)

Hi Pirate Girl, I can't tell you how thrilled I was to learn about Hoyas. And, the best part is that I have one in my own back yard! Wow... they are my new favorite plant. I've already repotted our plant, and I've gone and ordered another one from Almost Eden. I've been on searching websites all afternoon and came across a nursery in Florida that has some Hoyas on special right now. I did not know about the Hoya Forum until this afternoon but I will definitely see you there. I would be interested in knowing what Hoyas are easiest to grow. Thanks for all your help.

Bookmark   March 12, 2014 at 9:11PM
floral_uk z.8/9 SW UK

Hoya carnosa is really easy. And they can be propagated very simply too.

Bookmark   March 13, 2014 at 5:46AM
sunnysa(8)

Thanks Floral, I've got one on order.

Bookmark   March 13, 2014 at 2:07PM
More Discussions
deanna12061979
This plant is finally going to bloom! What is it ?
Anyone know what it will look like? Thanks folks
lizzieroux
Can someone ID this gladiolus
I got a gladiolus that was mislabeled, I was wondering...
blackwillow87
What is this magenta plant?
Can anyone identify the magenta plant in this image...
Steve Baker
Sponsored Products
Twigs Six-Light Chandelier
$315.00 | Bellacor
Signature Design by Ashley Allymore Brown Poster Bed
Overstock.com
Furniture of America Allesia Dining Buffet Table with 6-Bottle Rack - ID-11423
$438.75 | Hayneedle
Modern Indoor/Outdoor Area Rug: Kas Rugs Rugs Morning Vines Ivory 8 ft. x 10
Home Depot
Twigs Bronze Nine-Light Chandelier
$496.80 | Bellacor