Please Help the Hillbilly identify this plant

nwhillbillyMarch 5, 2014

I think its sick so any help with ID'ing this guy would be much appreciated.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
nel5397

Fatsia?

Bookmark   March 5, 2014 at 4:54PM
floral_uk z.8/9 SW UK

Yes, Fatsia japonica. Possibly just chilly. You don't give your zone.

Bookmark   March 5, 2014 at 5:48PM
larry_gene

If nw-hillbilly as is Pacific Northwest, there has been enough cold this winter to burn fatsia leaves. Looks a little windbeaten as well.

Bookmark   March 5, 2014 at 11:35PM
carlaclaws(6b)

I'm curious as to why its stem is exposed. It should have a nice "skirt" of lower leaves (and be well mulched over its root zone to boot).

Bookmark   May 4, 2014 at 9:00PM
Embothrium(USDA 8 Sunset 5 WA)

One of those plants that is prevalent as an older specimen in urban areas near Puget Sound but not hardy enough to last farther out - I can't even get it to live up on top of Camano Island, with salt water all around but still apparently significantly colder than down in the Seattle-Tacoma metropolitan area.

Bookmark   May 4, 2014 at 10:33PM
floral_uk z.8/9 SW UK

.... It should have a nice "skirt" of lower leaves ....

Only if that is the look the owner wants. And to achieve it a specimen this old would have to be kept cut back. Its natural state is to grow to small, often multi-stemmed, tree and to lose its lower leaves.

Bookmark   May 5, 2014 at 6:19AM
davidrt28 (zone 7)

"One of those plants that is prevalent as an older specimen in urban areas near Puget Sound but not hardy enough to last farther out "

Strange because they are somewhat common in collector's gardens around Washington, DC, which even in a 'normal' year is much colder than the greater PNW. I'm pretty sure some of them are coming back after this year, which was the coldest in 20 years. Maybe an Asian plant that hardens better with hot summers.

Bookmark   May 5, 2014 at 11:41AM
nwhillbilly

Hello - Thank you for all of the responses. I'm zone 8, specifically Kirkland, WA. It wasn't particularly cold this winter, we did have record rainfall though. It still looks a bit downtrodden, but new growth is coming in so it appears to be on the rebound.

Bookmark   May 5, 2014 at 12:40PM
morz8(Washington Coast Z8b)

Actually, it was particularly cold this winter and I had damage to, or outright lost things that are fine most years. There was a week of below normal cold temps in December, and a second that broke records last set in 1949 in February.

Bookmark   May 5, 2014 at 1:35PM
carlaclaws(6b)

Fatsia, like many broadleaf evergreens, does not like morning winter sun in colder climes.

Bookmark   May 5, 2014 at 3:58PM
gardengal48

Ideally, it is best sited in shade. Too bright a situation combined with our unique late winter weather has done some damage. Cut back hard and perhaps consider relocating in a shadier spot. In a woodsy or less exposed setting, this plant would have experienced minimal winter damage. I know of several large specimens in the foothills/Issaquah area.

Bookmark   May 6, 2014 at 3:21PM
Embothrium(USDA 8 Sunset 5 WA)

It always depends on the total combination of circumstances, including soil conditions that each planting experiences.

Bookmark   May 6, 2014 at 4:54PM
More Discussions
Do you know the name of this plant\flower?
This is a late bloomer. Striking seed pods. A perennial....
jbsez
Silk flower NOID
Need help to identify what flower this is an imitation...
donrawson
please name this plant
Didn't know this plant.please name it. Thanks in advance...
Tabi77
Who knows what type of orchid this is?
I keep getting these "Unusual Plant" emails....
Scooby D. Labbé
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™