What is this Beautiful Yellow Plant?/

KPinOregonMarch 26, 2014

I found this photo on a website, and I really want to plant one in my yard. But the website didn't tell me what the plant was! Help?

Thanks!

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
fig_insanity Z7a E TN

Lysimachia puntata, commonly known as yellow loosestrife, though it's not actually in the loosestrife family.

Bookmark   March 26, 2014 at 5:00PM
thedogsLL(6B)

Not sure where you are, but I put this in a small bed last year, and it was really nice - - - I'm very much hoping it comes back up here just a little north of Boston!
Lynn

Bookmark   March 26, 2014 at 7:02PM
garystpaul(4)

L. punctata.

Bookmark   March 26, 2014 at 8:59PM
morz8(Washington Coast Z8b)

KPin, if on the W side of the state, you might find this a little aggressive in your garden. The variegated forms with the same yellow flower better behaved.

Bookmark   March 26, 2014 at 11:10PM
larry_gene

KP is inOregon. It is not the same as purple loosestrife, but may still spread by seed and rhizomes, especially west of the Cascade Mountains.

Bookmark   March 26, 2014 at 11:12PM
linaria_gw

Around here it is native, and you can have something else in a boder or L punctata, a horrible, bullying spreader

Bookmark   March 27, 2014 at 2:37AM
SunnyBorders(5A)

Re Linaria's comment:

I've also been very wary of Lysimachia punctata, but occasionally used it.

I planted it in a perennial garden (full sun, upgraded clay soil)) (installed in 2000) and have maintained that garden to date.

I did get worried about it spreading, so put it in a pot in the soil, but found that it would not stay in. On the other hand, I've subsequently simply reduced it (pulling up/spading out runners), yearly after flowering, and had no problem maintaining it more or less in the same location.

As per Morz: a variegated form ('Alexander') was present in another garden (semi-shade, upgraded clay soil) I maintained over about five years. It spread very minimally. I don't know how much of that was related to a contrast between variegated and non-variegated forms of the same plant (viz. more versus less vigorous) and how much was to do with it's semi-shade location.

I wouldn't use any L. punctata in our own mixed perennial beds, because too many plants are maintained too close together.

Bookmark   March 27, 2014 at 10:51AM
bogturtle(SE NJ 7a)

Has never spread for me. Naturally acid, sandy soil, and mostly shade. 20 years in the same spot.
But that must be hardly characteristic of the plant.

Bookmark   March 27, 2014 at 3:52PM
More Discussions
No clue...new growth seems to look pinkish
I have a friend wanting to know what this plant is...to...
cadillactaste
Mystery desert plant wtih bright orange seeds
Hi there! This plant was found while hiking near Tucson,...
kellibee1111
need help with dahlia ID
Does anyone know the full ID for this dahlia? Just...
toad_ca
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™