Do you ever

gandle(4 NE)February 9, 2013

leave a tip when you have eaten at a buffet? Yesterday we had lunch at a upscale Chinese restaurant and noticed the man left a $5 tip when they left, I've never seen anyone else leave a tip at a buffet. The servers never do anything except take dishes off the table. I always tip at a service restaurant and the amount depends on the service. Is it proper to tip at a buffet?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
lilosophie

Here it is not required, but usually there is a tip-jar at the cash-register and customers leave a tip for all the help to share, the assumption is that the kitchen-help is really hustling to keep the buffet well stocked.

Bookmark   February 9, 2013 at 2:00PM
anneliese_32(6)

The one buffet place here has also a tip jar at the register.

Bookmark   February 9, 2013 at 7:16PM
west_gardener

We go to a combination full service and buffet restaurant, and usually get the buffet.The server brings the bread and makes sure we have new plates for each course for the buffet. Our tab is about $20 and I leave a $3 tip.

Bookmark   February 9, 2013 at 7:26PM
pkramer60

The Polish buffet we frequent does not have tip jar, so we always add a minumum of 10% of the bill. The servers make sure we have clean plates for our second trip plus they bring the drinks.

Bookmark   February 10, 2013 at 2:18PM
minnie_tx

We always leave a tip

Bookmark   February 10, 2013 at 11:03PM
rob333

I live a tip. A lesser tip, but a tip.

Bookmark   February 11, 2013 at 8:25AM
meldy_nva(z6b VA)

If there is no tip jar, I tip10% rounded up to the next dollar.

My favorite Chinese buffet has a tip jar, but the attendent is the one who clears, cleans, and sets the table, keeps coffee etc. filled and re-filled, and brings additional clean plates. There, attendent gets 15+% and jar gets about 5%.

I don't mind tipping for service; the place that surprised me was a specialized restuarant that also had a pick-up window for on-the-go. It not only had a tip jar prominently placed, but the cashier tapped it to get my attention and quickly put on an offended expression when I didn't contribute. In line with that attitude, the to-go meal was noticeably smaller sized than the usual in-house serving.

Bookmark   February 11, 2013 at 12:23PM
don_socal

If service is given and it is good a tip is always given. Service workers get paid as low as $2.50 an hour as tips are counted as wages and shared with all personnel.

Bookmark   February 13, 2013 at 12:56AM
More Discussions
Quotes 2 - 27 - 15
Grief can be the garden of compassion. If you keep...
don_socal
Please excuse my tardiness
Power went out Thurday late evening, got back after...
anneliese32
Sooty says: it fits
They do find the darnest places to take a nap, on my...
lilosophie
Quotes 2 - 18 - 15
Goodness is about character - integrity, honesty, kindness,...
don_socal
Remembering Mitzi
My step-mother had a sister named Lyle. A real free...
gandle
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™