Please ID plant that is taking over my yard

ncangieMarch 30, 2014

What is this plant? It is all in my yard and is spreading like crazy. I am in the North Carolina Mountains. Thanks so much.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
carol23_gw

It's Helleborus foetidus.

Bookmark   March 30, 2014 at 7:34PM
gardengal48

It's a type of hellebore, Helleborus foetidus, stinking or bear's foot hellebore. It can self seed readily if happily sited but not going to "take over your garden" :-)) Weed out extras ad share with neighbors - this is considered a rather sought after plant.

Bookmark   March 30, 2014 at 7:38PM
w1ldflower(5)

Haha, I was just about to say, I'd love to take any throw-aways off of your hands, ncangie! It looks like it may prefer to have a little more shade than it's getting, these usually grow on moist slopes and as an understory planting where they get bright early season light before the trees leaf out after which they provide protection from more intense summer heat/sun.

Bookmark   March 30, 2014 at 7:48PM
Cenepk10(7B)

Dang !!! Wish mine looked like that !!!

Bookmark   March 30, 2014 at 7:53PM
ncangie

Thanks so much for the information. We purchased the house last June from an amazing gardener. The plant is all over the yard, and I was worried about it taking over. As you can tell, I'm not a gardener. I'm trying to learn, however.

Bookmark   March 30, 2014 at 8:13PM
Cenepk10(7B)

I dug up a clump from my sisters' property in Charlotte, NC 6 years ago- after 3 years, I moved and dug it up and brought tomy new house. Poor little fella always blooms but hasn't seem to flourish yet... Hers were naturalized under a stand of magnolia trees - for 50-60 years. It was truly a sight to see ! I say let them take over !!!!!

Bookmark   March 30, 2014 at 8:41PM
More Discussions
Silk flower NOID #2
Need help to identify what flower this is an imitation...
donrawson
Name of succulent
Saw this at a store... anyone know it's name? thanks!...
nanzjade_z5
Rosemary exact species name please (Qatar)
Hi Guys Can you please name the exact species of this...
maufie123
Silver and Fuzzy
Bought this as an annual last year, but it's living...
sandyslopes z5 northern UT
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™