Name this shrub/subshrub?

strawberrypoe(7)March 21, 2014

I took this picture in downtown Philadelphia, about four days ago (in March) - The plant itself not more than ten inches high.
A quick plant finder app told me it was closest matched to a "Chamaecyparis pisifera filifera 'Golden Mop' "
I don't dispute that its a chamaecyparis but the "Golden Mop" from pictures doesn't seem to generally be that small size or go from light green at the base to yellow and then red tips, as the one in the picture does - Anyone know exactly what this plant is ?

This post was edited by strawberrypoe on Fri, Mar 21, 14 at 21:13

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
strawberrypoe(7)

Here's another picture of a closeup of this same plant:

Bookmark   March 21, 2014 at 9:14PM
NHBabs(4b-5aNH)

I think you've accurately ID'd it as Chamaecyparis pisifera filifera 'Golden Mop'. The reddish color on the tips is probably burn from cold or wind or salt this winter. IME gold evergreens are more gold where they get more light, so the interior tends to be more green than the outer parts of branches due to shading of the interior. As for the size, it was probably planted for the winter color as small plants and may well be discarded in the spring. Otherwise it will outgrow the pot sooner or later.

Bookmark   March 21, 2014 at 9:18PM
rina_

I just borrowed the book Designing with conifers by R.L.Bitner from the library; on pg.81 there is a photo looking very similar to yours. Description reads:
Calocedrus decurrens 'Berrima Gold' (incense-cedar): slow growing, bright gold foliage that looks deep gold to orange in the winter...could that be it?
(hope it's ok to quote from the book...?)
Rina

EDIT-EDIT:
Had better look at your photo - I think I am wrong.
Your plant looks like a Chamaecyparis...Sorry for the confusion!

This post was edited by rina_ on Fri, Mar 21, 14 at 22:01

Bookmark   March 21, 2014 at 9:52PM
Embothrium(USDA 8 Sunset 5 WA)

Wrong habit and foliage, this is definitely one of the gold thread-branch Chamaecyparis pisifera clones.

Bookmark   March 21, 2014 at 10:00PM
strawberrypoe(7)

Looked through a few pictures on google of the "Berrima Gold" - that color is definitely spot on ! Though if it really is what you suspect it is, it wouldn't make sense to put those guys in a planter... which means regardless of what it is, nhbabs is prob right about it only being utilized for the pop of color in winter, and then discarded... Disheartening :( I thought I had found a great teeny tiny dwarf shrub with naturally red/brown tips.

Edit: Okay ! So its definitely a Chamaecyparis then :P

This post was edited by strawberrypoe on Fri, Mar 21, 14 at 22:14

Bookmark   March 21, 2014 at 10:05PM
rina_

Yes bboy, that's why I edited...look twice-speak once, right:)

Rina

Bookmark   March 21, 2014 at 11:33PM
ken_adrian Adrian MI cold Z5

I thought I had found a great teeny tiny dwarf shrub with naturally red/brown tips.

==>>> it is a conifer ... i have around 600 of them.. and am vaguely familiar with many others ...

i can not think of a single one.. that has red tips for more that a day or two in spring... and that one isnt worthy ... as the show is measured in hours ...

ken

Here is a link that might be useful: link

Bookmark   March 23, 2014 at 8:02AM
More Discussions
Name of succulent
Saw this at a store... anyone know it's name? thanks!...
nanzjade_z5
Name of festuca please
I'm looking for a green festuca that would grow in...
plquality
Help ID the 4 Plants in this flower bed
I am trying to ID the plants in this bed. I'm fairly...
btalarczyk
Silk flower NOID
Need help to identify what flower this is an imitation...
donrawson
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™