Mystery vegetable

DibdobMarch 27, 2014

I planted this from a seed packet, obviously scattered the seeds liberally (which would have been per the packet instructions), but I threw the packet away and have NO idea what it is now. Since this photo was taken a few weeks ago, the plants have gotten three times as tall, at least. There's nothing to the root, really. The leaves are a bit prickly and tasteless. I want to know i I should thin the seedlings, but I have no idea what it could be. Thoughts?? Thank you!

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
missingtheobvious(Blue Ridge 7a)

I believe they are radishes. At this size, the roots have yet to thicken.

The leaves would indeed be a bit prickly. I'm not sure I'd call them "tasteless" -- but everyone has their own ideas about taste. I've used the young leaves in salads.

Now the bit about "since this photo was taken a few weeks ago," makes me wonder about my radish ID. At that age, I'd expect the roots to be thickening a bit. Still, they're growing too close together and should have been thinned; the crowding would retard their growth.

If someone else agrees they're radishes, thin to 3" apart. (If not radishes, you have a radish relative.)

Do you think you might have planted radishes? Did your seeds look like this photo?

Bookmark   March 27, 2014 at 11:11PM
Dibdob

Perhaps a radish! Yes, they're quite tall now, about the height of my mature broccoli plants. Here's a picture of one unearthed just this morning. If it is a radish, is it too late to thin?

Bookmark   March 28, 2014 at 1:29PM
saltcedar(Sunset zn 30/usda 8b)

Turnip Greens perhaps?

Here is a link that might be useful:

Bookmark   March 28, 2014 at 2:31PM
Dibdob

Turnips! Yes! Thank you so much!

Bookmark   March 28, 2014 at 5:43PM
More Discussions
No clue...new growth seems to look pinkish
I have a friend wanting to know what this plant is...to...
cadillactaste
need help with dahlia ID
Does anyone know the full ID for this dahlia? Just...
toad_ca
Late-blooming aster in a Colorado canyon
I shot this in late September in Cache la Poudre Canyon,...
Joe_Pye
Help ID the 4 Plants in this flower bed
I am trying to ID the plants in this bed. I'm fairly...
btalarczyk
what sort of mushroom?
I promise I have no intention of trying to ingest this...
toad_ca
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™