Plant?

Christ007March 10, 2014

I found this plant growing in the garden and I was hoping someone could tell me what it is, the size it will grow to and whether it likes sun or shade.

Thanks in advance

Chris

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
Hortiphoto

Looks like Grevillea robusta. Could be Grevillea banksii but that has slightly coarser foliage. Grevillea robusta is the Silky Oak, an Australian tree that is common in your area. It will eventually grow to 35m tall.

Bookmark   March 10, 2014 at 11:42PM
alisonoz_gw

Silky Oak was my first thought, too. Even if there's not one immediately in your neighbourhood, sometimes the cockatoos go for the seed pods for food and probably spread by droppings.
Don't even THINK about planting it out unless you own a park or have acreage. A well-grown specimen is a thing of beauty in flower given the space, but in a residential area it will eventually lift your house off its foundations after the roots have destroyed all your underground pipes. Not to mention what the neighbours will do to you if it falls on them :-)

Bookmark   March 11, 2014 at 1:50AM
Christ007

Thanks for your advice, there are plenty of yellow crested cockatoo's visiting the garden so the seed probably came from them. I'll take your advice and I won't plant it but It's a pretty tree I might try growing it in a large planter (on pavers) at least for a while anyway.

Thanks again for your help.

Bookmark   March 11, 2014 at 8:39PM
More Discussions
Name of succulent
Saw this at a store... anyone know it's name? thanks!...
nanzjade_z5
Late-blooming aster in a Colorado canyon
I shot this in late September in Cache la Poudre Canyon,...
Joe_Pye
Mini "weed" growing in a pot ID
Pot was outdoors all summer. Growing in a pot indoors...
true_blue
Silk flower NOID #4
Need help to identify what flower this is an imitation...
donrawson
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™