what kind if pussy willow?

olreaderMarch 29, 2014

around three years ago I posted pictures of this tree in leaf, maybe on gardenweb, maybe on some other forum, and someone identified it as a pussy willow (which I didn't know got so big). I can't find that old post and can't remember what username I used.

I took this picture today, can you tell what kind of willow it is?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
ken_adrian Adrian MI cold Z5

how big is it .... ????

more facts please ...

ken

Bookmark   March 30, 2014 at 9:08AM
Embothrium(USDA 8 Sunset 5 WA)

Willows not easily recognized as distinctive ones native to a particular area or prevalent in gardens of a region are identified by specific technical details of the flowers and leaves.

If you think this one is native there then sources of information about the wild plants of your state is where to look. If there is a reliably labeled native plant display near there or you are willing to study web sites or print guidebooks/manuals then make use of those; when visiting a living collection take a sample of your willow with you to hold up next to any similar ones you may find there.

If instead you think this is a kind of foreign origin (or a native one present in commerce) see if you can match it with stock present now in nearby retail outlets. Look at an independent stores or growing operations that have a retail component, where there is much more likely to be a shrub like this that at a big box store plant department with a characteristically extremely limited selection (and knowledge base).

This post was edited by bboy on Sun, Mar 30, 14 at 15:27

Bookmark   March 30, 2014 at 3:22PM
olreader

I thought I had pictures of the leaves but I can't find them. Here's a bad picture of the tree in summer, it's about 22 feet tall and it has about 32 stems from 1" to 4" in diameter.

I'll try to post pictures when it gets some leaves.

Bookmark   March 30, 2014 at 5:45PM
More Discussions
Please ID this plant
I think it came in an indoor pot of plants. It is...
elaineal
pink anthurium
I am looking for the botanical name for my pink anthurium....
linda_leaf z10fla
Help ID the 4 Plants in this flower bed
I am trying to ID the plants in this bed. I'm fairly...
btalarczyk
Flowering Vine/plant Identification
Have had this plant for years, seldom blooms, but it...
ehgraham
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™