A weird flashback.

gandle(4 NE)February 8, 2014

Leone set up her small quilting frame in a spare bedroom, the quilt drapes down on 3 sides, touching the floor.

Weird but I see a tent.. The memory that popped in my head was of crawling under a quilt that grandma and one of her clubs were quilting. I couldn't have been more than 4 years old and laying on the carpet with a toy car. I had the quilt on top and was surrounded by a forest of mostly ankles and shoes. I was busy running the car overt a stripe in the carper, I guess pretending it was a road and There was non-stop chatter and low laughter from the women and I never felt anymore secure in my life.

I fell asleep and remember when grandma woke me because the women were all in the big old kitchen and there was fresh warm gingerbread with the extra thick whipped cream. There was even a maraschino cherry on top. Remember not caring for the cherry.

Man, I must be losing it flashing back about 83 years just by looking at a quilt draped over a frame. Ought to get my head checked, must be running a quart low. Enough, more than enough.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
gabriell_gw

I love reading your stories. Tell us more.

Bookmark   February 8, 2014 at 11:33PM
don_socal

A beautiful memory, something to treasure. Brings some of mine to mind.

Bookmark   February 9, 2014 at 1:54AM
lilosophie

Wonderful flashback! With a feeling of security and of good feelings. Some things from the past just got to be brought out of storage every once in a while, nothing wrong with your head,George

Bookmark   February 9, 2014 at 9:45AM
anneliese_32(6)

Sometimes I wonder how our mental filing system works. Seeing or hearing something opens one of those drawers and what falls out is completely unexpected. You are not alone, Georg.

Bookmark   February 9, 2014 at 10:18AM
mawheel

George, we never get enough of your stories and reminisences (sp.?)--Oh heck, remembering things! :>) Your memory of being warm, cozy, and secure is a very precious memory--one that got tucked away in the recesses of your mind.

Thanks for sharing.

Bookmark   February 9, 2014 at 11:04AM
mjmercer

Never enough, George. Your posts are what keep me coming back here. Thanks for sharing your memories. :o)

Karen

Bookmark   February 9, 2014 at 12:02PM
surya55_gw

That's such a beautiful flashback to come popping up like that. Ever notice how a song or a certain smell takes you somewhere you've forgotten? Happens to me all the time. You're such a gifted storyteller. We WANT MORE! Thx George!

Bookmark   February 9, 2014 at 5:58PM
rob333

(((George))) that was a special gift. Don't need your head checked at all!

smiles!

Bookmark   February 10, 2014 at 8:14AM
gmatx zone 6

I believe the older I get, the more frequently I have those kinds of memories pop up.

George, I really wish you would record on tape those memories when they happen and then have somebody transcribe them in book form. Do you know how much you inspire us and how much we love your wisdom, memories and great outlook on life?

By the way, how is the "crazy cat"?

Bookmark   February 11, 2014 at 10:57AM
More Discussions
Quotes 3 - 12 - 15
Gratitude unlocks the fullness of life. It turns what...
don_socal
Quotes 3 - 16 - 15
True love is like ghosts, which everyone talks about...
don_socal
Quotes 3 - 22 - 15
My fake plants died because I did not pretend to water...
don_socal
Weather, it's still winter
and we are having a heat wave , temps from 70-80 degrees;...
west_gardener2
Quotes 3 - 27 - 15
We all have dreams. But in order to make dreams come...
don_socal
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™