conifer

mommy115(9)April 8, 2013

I can't figure out how to attach more than one photo so I will send three messages, each with one photo. This first photo is a close up of a freshly developing cone. This bush has a loose, free-form growth habit and is only 3 feet tall after a number of years growth. The one inch needles are somewhat soft. The new cones have orange "petals" which dry up when cone is developed. In it's semi-shade position it appears to get only one cone per year although there were two dry cones on it, one male and one female.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
tedhort

Grevillea, maybe G. ericifolia (cult....)

Regards

Bookmark   April 8, 2013 at 3:04AM
mommy115(9)

Thank you tedhort. I see grevillea has a lot of varieties. This photo certainly looks like several of them. If you could check the photo I just attached or else my message of "conifer 2" I'm wondering if grevillea forms what looks like a the cone that you will see in that photo. If so, is that actually a cone or is it called something else?

Bookmark   April 8, 2013 at 3:41AM
tedhort

Hi,

Correction on my previous post -- not a Grevillea, -- most likely Banksia ericifolia.

Ted

Bookmark   April 8, 2013 at 3:49AM
tedhort

Hi again,

The 2nd pic is of the seed head which is typical of Banksia spp. This forms after the flower dies away -- easily mistaken for a coniferous structure.

Ted

Bookmark   April 8, 2013 at 3:52AM
mommy115(9)

The Banksia looks spot on! Does it get a cone like the photo I attached? Are the big corn nut resembling things actually seeds? I know this is an ID forum but you seem very knowledgable about this plant. Any idea if it will propagate in some way? It's my neighbors plant.

Bookmark   April 8, 2013 at 3:56AM
mommy115(9)

I see your comment about my 'cone' photo. Do you know anything about propagation?

Bookmark   April 8, 2013 at 3:58AM
tedhort

Try and read the info in the link below, should answer your question reasonably well

http://anpsa.org.au/banksia2.html

Regards,

Ted

Bookmark   April 8, 2013 at 4:00AM
mommy115(9)

Thanks again tedhort! You sure know your stuff, are you a horticulturist?

Bookmark   April 8, 2013 at 4:33AM
tedhort

Yes I am---however, you will find many "qualified" people in this forum to help you.

In fact, many of the excellent contributions made here are not necessarily offered by members with formal qualifications. One of the "side effects" gained thru enjoying gardening and being a gardener is that an increase in plant knowledge naturally follows.

Regards.

Bookmark   April 8, 2013 at 4:53AM
More Discussions
please name this plant
Didn't know this plant.please name it. Thanks in advance...
Tabi77
Rosemary exact species name please (Qatar)
Hi Guys Can you please name the exact species of this...
maufie123
Assorted Foliage Houseplant needs ID
What is this plant? It is only labeled as assorted...
rachelthepoet
pink anthurium
I am looking for the botanical name for my pink anthurium....
linda_leaf z10fla
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™