What palm is this?

nanowattApril 1, 2014

I have this type of palm and i want to know it's name because is having some trouble and maybe if i do some research i may help him recover.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
Dave in NoVA • 7a • Northern VA

1st, where did it come from? Bought at a big box store? Where do you live? In tropics? or in a cold climate?

Also, did you cut off the leaf tips because they were dried up? Or are they normally squared off?

Then can you tell me if the petioles (leaf stems) have spines on them? It looks like they do.

My guess is a young Livistona chinensis but a lot of palms look similar when young. Or could even be a young Trachycarpus fortunei, but I'd have to see a closeup of petioles.

This post was edited by dave_in_nova on Tue, Apr 1, 14 at 9:12

Bookmark   April 1, 2014 at 9:04AM
nanowatt

I live in Romania and now here is pretty hot.It was bought from a store i don;t know which one and no wasn't a store just for flowers.Yes i did cut off the tips because they all were turning white and i think i did a very big mistake and yes the leaves have spikes on them.I think i did a very big mistake by cutting those tips i was worried that the plant was going to turn white.I don't water it too
frequently because the problem may be the waterinG(i water it 2 times a week)I was places near a sunny window now i moved her away.

This post was edited by nanowatt on Tue, Apr 1, 14 at 10:29

Bookmark   April 1, 2014 at 10:20AM
Dave in NoVA • 7a • Northern VA

I would guess Livistona chinensis then, just because they're so common.

But it looks a bit stunted for a Livistona.

Maybe it needs some TLC. Moderate and consistent watering. Set it outdoors in SHADE in summer. Don't let it sit in water. Keep it warm -- no colder than 45 or 50 degrees F.

It will burn in sun so don't be tempted to set it out in full sun.

Bookmark   April 2, 2014 at 5:57PM
More Discussions
does anyone know the name of this weed?
It grows almost like a ground cover in our rose bed....
oxford69
Help wanted !!
Hi to you all, Would you please name the plant, I've...
mohsenj
Bitter greens in Austin, TX
I've got these very bitter greens that keep growing...
gardenmyrna
Help identifying plant
Hi everyone, I moved into a house over the winter when...
massakyr - Zone 2b/3a
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™