Quote, 03/26/12

anneliese_32(6)March 26, 2012

Poetry is the opening and closing of a door, leaving those who look through to guess about what is seen during a moment.

Carl Sandburg

Time is the coin of your life. You can spend it. Do not allow others to spend it for you.

Carl Sandburg

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
coconut_nj

Really like both of them. The first one is what I love about poetry. So often it's up to us to guess what is really meant or at the least to guess what spurred the thoughts. Fun.

The second one seems to be a theme for today. I follow Ruth Buzzi on Twitter,[an old friend recently got me on there] and today she happened to say something similar. Don't let people take up space in your head. Good advice from both.

Bookmark   March 26, 2012 at 2:02PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
west_gardener

I also like both of them. I agree with coconut that it is fun to try to figure out what was going on and what the person was thinking while writing the poem.

The first one goes into the second one. I received my copy of "The Rime of the Ancient Mariner" and it has 42 illustrations by Gustave Dore. Although I luv the illustrations, I wish I had bought a book with just the "rime", so I could figure it out for myself. I'll try not to let the illustrations color my thoughts. But as the saying goes, a picture is worth a thousand words.

Bookmark   March 26, 2012 at 7:01PM
More Discussions
And just because it is Dr. Seuss Day
The more you read, The more you know. The more you...
anneliese32
Quotes 2 - 26 - 15
God has cared for these trees, saved them from drought,...
don_socal
Quotes 3 - 1 - 15
Drag your thoughts away from your troubles... by the...
don_socal
Quotes 2 - 21 - 15
Life is a lot like jazz... it's best when you improvise. George...
don_socal
Quotes 2-20-15
Walking with a friend in the dark is better than walking...
west_gardener2
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™