It's a gourmet Doug, er, dog

mjmercerMarch 12, 2011

Just wondering if anyone here has heard of Hot Doug's in Chicago? The owner, Doug (duh lol), has taken hot dogs to an entire new level of gastronomic experience. He refers to his place as an encased meat emporium. lol

I'm joining a group of foodies there later today. They will be savoring all kinds of exotic concoctions described in the link below, while I enjoy a Diet Coke and perhaps a bag of potato chips.

I'm not a meat eater so I'll let the others enjoy. *I* want to check out Doug. His mom has been my neighbor for years. This is my chance to see if the acorn is anything like the tree!

Karen

Here is a link that might be useful: Hot Doug's

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
anneliese_32(6)

While I am not a big meat eater, I can see myself chewing through the whole menue. Belong to the people who like to eat anything they have not had before. Enjoy the visit, even if it is w/o tasting.

Bookmark   March 12, 2011 at 8:44AM
lilod(NoCal/8)

Oh yes, I would want to visit more than once, some interesting combos on the menu.

Bookmark   March 12, 2011 at 9:49AM
west_gardener

I'll take one of each.

Bookmark   March 12, 2011 at 8:43PM
don_socal

I am working toward less meat more veggies but this looks interesting.

Bookmark   March 12, 2011 at 8:47PM
west_gardener

I love sausages and the menu looks so good.
Don, there seems to be a semi veggi among the goodies.

Spinach and Mozzarella Chicken Sausage with Sun-Dried Tomato Mayonnaise and Smoked Provolone Cheese
$7.50

Bookmark   March 12, 2011 at 9:37PM
petaloid(SoCal 10a/24)

I hope you had fun and I'm looking forward to your report!

Bookmark   March 13, 2011 at 1:22PM
dirtdiver(6)

So how long was the line? I haven't had a hot dog in over a year, but I have had Hot Doug's a number of times--first tried them when they were on Roscoe, I think. These days it seems like they're always really, really crowded, no matter the day or time, though the line moves fast, usually presided over by Doug himself. Did you get the duck-fat fries? They also seem to be one of the only places in the city that offers up my preferred Vienna product--the FireDog. Plus they do an andouille sausage. Hope you enjoyed it.

Bookmark   March 13, 2011 at 2:05PM
mjmercer

You were spot on with your observation about the exceptionally long line, Ann. Temperatures on Saturday were in the very low 40's with a whipping wind. When I got to Doug's the line was indeed snaking down the block. I decided it wasn't worth risking a bad sore throat and cold just to suck down a Diet Coke while everyone else had a Doug. So instead I went to Starbucks, which was giving away mini pastries with a coffee purchase. Mmmm...coffee and cupcakes. Now that's good eatin'. :o)

Karen

Bookmark   March 14, 2011 at 6:56PM
west_gardener

The days that I don't cook, DH fixes himself "a doogie". Hot dog, white bun, red onion, cheddar cheese and everyday brown mustard. He's a hot dog person.

Bookmark   March 14, 2011 at 7:56PM
More Discussions
Quotes 3 - 17 - 15
Green is the prime color of the world, and that from...
don_socal
When is Spring?
A count down to spring.http://days.to/spring/2015
west_gardener2
Quotes 3 - 18 - 15
Understand where it is you want to go. Then picture...
don_socal
Weather, it's still winter
and we are having a heat wave , temps from 70-80 degrees;...
west_gardener2
Quotes 3 - 25 - 15
Drama is life with the dull bits cut out. Alfred Hitchcock Conflict...
don_socal
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™