Can turn into a gigantic bush if not trimmed

boredsogarden(8 VA)April 9, 2014

I tried to cut this all of the way back last fall (from 5 feet tall/wide) but it keeps coming back up stronger and stronger. I believe there are white flowers later in its life but I don't have a picture of one.

Thank you in advance! :)

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
saltcedar(Sunset zn 30/usda 8b)

Fatsia japonica.

Bookmark   April 9, 2014 at 1:18PM
ken_adrian Adrian MI cold Z5

if you take salty's suggestion to google.. you will find that it is actually a tree ...

if its improperly planted.. in too confined a space.. i would suggest removal ... rather than trying to prune it into a mini ... as you are finding.. it just isnt going to work ....

this is why.. it is coming back bigger.. every time you cut it.. as there was no insult to a tree sized root mass ...

ken

Here is a link that might be useful: hit the tree link at top left ...

Bookmark   April 9, 2014 at 3:34PM
gardengal48

Ken, have you ever grown this plant? It is not a tree but a large shrub......grown as a houseplant in areas where it is not winter hardy. And it can be grown in a very confined space as it takes to hard pruning very well. Many folks cut it back annually. It is an ideal candidate for areas of dry shade in zone 8 and above.

Bookmark   April 9, 2014 at 3:52PM
boredsogarden(8 VA)

Ack! Do you think it is a keeper?

Thank you!

Bookmark   April 9, 2014 at 3:55PM
saltcedar(Sunset zn 30/usda 8b)

Yes it's a keeper, but if you need to prune yearly it is in the wrong location. Ignore Ken, he likes to hear himself pontificate on subjects he doesn't understand.

This post was edited by saltcedar on Wed, Apr 9, 14 at 16:02

Bookmark   April 9, 2014 at 4:00PM
bboy(USDA 8 Sunset 5 WA)

If it is coming up on its own, from seed on your site that might indicate some existing or future weed potential. Otherwise it is a plant people plant intentionally, for garden ornament.

You will probably not see the flowers and fruits if you keep cutting it back, and it does want to grow large (well above 5 ft., which is not big for a shrub, as far as it goes). So you might not want it in that spot, regardless of how nice it might be thought to be otherwise.

Bookmark   April 9, 2014 at 5:27PM
Dave in NoVA • 7a • Northern VA

Fatsia is a great shrub for a lush, tropical look. They are hardy in the MidAtlantic up to zone 7B and can get damaged in zone 7A. They should be reliably evergreen in zone 8. And should be regarded as of some value, I would think. Who doesn't like green in the winter?

You don't say how much space this needs to fit into, but if a 5 x 5 shrub doesn't work where you have it, you can easily move it where it can show off its stuff. They like mostly shade.

Bookmark   April 10, 2014 at 8:13AM
More Discussions
Silk flower NOID #3
Need help to identify what flower this is an imitation...
donrawson
Silk flower NOID #4
Need help to identify what flower this is an imitation...
donrawson
Who knows what type of orchid this is?
I keep getting these "Unusual Plant" emails....
Scooby D. Labbé
No clue...new growth seems to look pinkish
I have a friend wanting to know what this plant is...to...
cadillactaste
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™