St. Patrick's Day and no Good Wishes

posieh(3)March 18, 2011

I'm trying not to feel bad as I AM IRISH ! My Gradmother and my Dad both had red hair to prove it! I don't drink beer and I don't eat Corn Beef and cabbage.....but I had a great day! Went to dinner and wore my green! Someone here said you could go "stagger around" with another 300,000 is totally wrong! The real Irish don't do that, only the ones who wish they were Irish do! Anyway, alot of time and effort

go into those parades, it's not easy marching and playing a bagpipe! Have seen truely great parades in St. Paul and Chicago but think the greatest was in Boston. Lots of REAL IRISH folks there.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
agnespuffin

Glad you had a good day!

We are supposed to have the second largest parade in the nation. I am sure the Partying that started last weekend and will continue thru this Saturday night. And I think you are right, REAL Irish don't act like our visitors. It has gotten out of hand, but it does bring in the Almighty Tourist and his money.

It started here a long time ago as the families from the nearby Irish community would all march to the Church for Mass on St. Patrick's Day. I don't know when it started being a party time for everyone. They even managed to keep it going strong during prohibition days.

When I was a little girl, there were a lot of Military bands and groups. All marching smartly. Awesome!!! I wish it were the same now. Now, it's Party time, before, during and after the parade.

For a look, www.savannahnow.com and follow the different links

Here is a link that might be useful: parade and party

Bookmark   March 18, 2011 at 5:24PM
west_gardener

I'm not surprised at all by the "Partying" here in the states during St. Patrick's day. On my first St. Patrick's day here in this country (that was about 55 years ago) I was invited to join some
co-workers for a celebration. The whole lunch was spent drinking "green beer". I don't drink beer and certainly not green beer.
Anyway, that was my introduction to Paddy.

Bookmark   March 18, 2011 at 7:32PM
posieh(3)

Yes, it is rather sad that it has become a "Big Party". I've always wondered how they turn gold colored beer to green.

Bookmark   March 18, 2011 at 10:09PM
petaloid(SoCal 10a/24)

I wore a green sweater, slacks, scarf and green-striped socks in honor of the day. I'm currently eating some kind of Irish mega-scone I bought at Trader Joe's. Best I could do.

I have a soft spot for Ireland -- good fortune took me there many years ago and it was lovely. The people were so kind to us.

Bookmark   March 18, 2011 at 10:41PM
More Discussions
Quotes 3 - 16 - 15
True love is like ghosts, which everyone talks about...
don_socal
what was Y Day in 1939?
I am watching the WWw movie series Winds Of War. In...
quirkpod
Quotes 3 - 19 - 15
It takes courage to grow up and become who you really...
don_socal
Calling from outer space now
Internet service now via satellite, free installation...
lilosophie
Quotes 3 - 9 - 15
No one saves us but ourselves. No one can and no one...
don_socal
Sponsored Products
Canton Old Nickel Island Pendant
Bellacor
Hydro Systems Ovation 7242 Tub
Modern Bathroom
Buddha Face Lighted Wall Fountain
Lamps Plus
Muse Sofa
Design Within Reach
Carmel Wall Sconce by Savoy House
$122.00 | Lumens