pruning

gloriam(z5PA)March 15, 2014

My flowering brushes need to be cut back. My husband didn't do it in the fall and he fell and broke his ankle so I get to do the job of this cutting back all my flowering brushes and don't know when to do it. Can someone please tell me when to do .

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
gandle(4 NE)

Gloria, we were always taught to prune flowering bushes right after the flowers are past. If done now you are cutting off incipient flower buds. We never waited but began pruning as the last flower faded. Understand I'm speaking from zone 4 and 5 experience but doubt that it is different in other zones.

Bookmark   March 15, 2014 at 10:11PM
mawheel

We're starting to prune our butterfly bush (Buddleia?) next week. It keeps blooming right up till frost, so we learned/were told to wait till late February or Mid-March and then cut it back to 12 or 15 inches from the ground, but definitely before any new growth appears. With the Winter we've had--and are still having--we're in the right time frame. Our bush is ten years old and has bloomed prolifically, every year, and we've always pruned it in the manner I described.

Bookmark   March 16, 2014 at 6:05PM
west_gardener

Hi gloriam, we live in CA, zone 10, and I go by the same rule that gandle mentioned.

Bookmark   March 16, 2014 at 7:12PM
gloriam(z5PA)

Thanks to all the responed to this, It has to be done so as soon as I can I will prune them

Bookmark   March 19, 2014 at 3:26PM
gloriam(z5PA)

The weather was nice on Saturday so I got to work on pruning my flowering brushes. I cut the dead off of the pinie bruhes and saw new growth coming up. The butterflies bushes got cut down and my one neighbor helped me cut the hard branches that were thick. And she even emptyed my can. The flags were dead so I just had to pull on them. This winter and spring is sure weird, one day its cold, next day it warm and teasing us. So pruning is done but need to clean up leaves in the next couple of weeks.

Bookmark   March 24, 2014 at 2:26PM
west_gardener

Good for you, gloriam. I bet you are glad that is done.

Bookmark   March 24, 2014 at 5:42PM
gloriam(z5PA)

Yes I am glad that is done, Now to play this wait and see what the weather is for this week. I have to clean up the leaves that was from fall. I asked my hubby if he has anything that will pick the leaves up and he does and it mulches them also. So glad for that. I even got myself a box cutter and blades today so that I can cut up boxes, and don't have to depend on any one else.

Bookmark   March 24, 2014 at 11:33PM
More Discussions
Remembering Mitzi
My step-mother had a sister named Lyle. A real free...
gandle
A sad morning
Martha, of the green eggs, has passed on to the big...
lilosophie
Quotes 2 - 24 - 15
Most visions of extraterrestrial life are actually...
don_socal
Quotes 3 - 4 - 15
You can't get a cup of tea big enough or a book long...
don_socal
Quotes 2 - 23 - 15
Weakness of attitude becomes weakness of character. Albert...
don_socal
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™