We sure hope insurance covers it

gandle(4 NE)March 27, 2013

Leone was in the basement , she had gone down to the freezer to get a roast for Friday and the freezer was unplugged. We've been itemizing and we are close to the $600 mark. Have absolutely no idea how that could happen. There was a saftey lock on the plugin but it obviously didn't work. Just what we needed to spend Wednesday evening doing hauling things to the dumpster..

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
gabriell_gw

How horrible. Hope there was no ice cream. Same thing happened to a friend and she said cleaning melted ice cream was the worst.

Bookmark   March 27, 2013 at 10:02PM
mawheel

What a bummer! In addition to the expense of the lost food, the actual disposal of a full freezer's contents will be a challenge. I hope there's an outside exit from the basement; if not, there will be a lot of trips up and down the stairs. :>(

Bookmark   March 28, 2013 at 7:02AM
gandle(4 NE)

WE made a lot of trips up stairs. Insurance agent is trying to decide whether or not we are covered. Says we are if the electricity goes out but can't decide if it is covered when the freezer is unplugged. The disposal people have already emptied the dumpster. We can replace all the meat but what hurts most are the homemade pies Leone made last fall. She made 10 and there were still 5 left,that hurts me. Fortunately, there was no ice cream. Thats upstairs in the refrigerator freezer. I've been reading our policy and of all the convoluted language. I kind of think we have a dedutable of $100 on the stuff but even the agent isn't sure. He promised to call before noon with the answer.

Bookmark   March 28, 2013 at 11:15AM
shilty(6)

It cudda been worse! When it happened to me, the freezer was full of shrimp we had dragged back from Kema, Texas, frozen, and packed away for good eating later, swimming in brackish water when I discovered it. Loaded it all up in garbage bags, hauled the can out to be picked up, and THEY DIDN'T TAKE IT.

After about three 90 plus deg days, I buried it deep.

So sorry about the loss.

Bookmark   March 28, 2013 at 11:41AM
anneliese_32(6)

I don't know where my son disposed of freezer and refrigerator stuff when our refrigerator went on the blink when we were out of town for husband's surgery. Son came by after about 5 days and the whole house stunk. He cleaned out, washed refrigerator down and we had to buy a new one. I feel for you other freezer victims.

Bookmark   March 28, 2013 at 6:16PM
gabriell_gw

It makes me sad to think of loosing five home made pies.

Bookmark   March 28, 2013 at 7:41PM
don_socal

Food gone bad has a variety of ways to mess up a day. Sorry for the problem and the loss of things that bring good memories. by way of the senses.

Bookmark   March 29, 2013 at 3:51AM
west_gardener

What I'd look into is how that plug got unplugged, so I could prevent it ever happening again.

Bookmark   March 29, 2013 at 7:29PM
Janis_G(z7GA)

We had a freezer quit working once that was full of beef.
My mom and Neil's dad was in the hospital at the time and we
didn't know it til I went to the basement and was overcome by the stench. I called the man that worked for us at the time and he got
rid of the whole mess.
I've never owned a freezer since.

Bookmark   March 30, 2013 at 12:39AM
More Discussions
Happy St. Patrick's Day
HAPPY ST. PATRICK'S DAY! II'm not wearing green and...
mawheel
what was Y Day in 1939?
I am watching the WWw movie series Winds Of War. In...
quirkpod
Quotes 3 - 23 - 15
Every major player is working on this technology of...
don_socal
Quotes 3 - 14 - 15
In ancient times cats were worshipped as gods; they...
don_socal
Quotes 3 - 26 - 15
The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is...
don_socal
Sponsored Products
1500 Thread Count Solid 3-piece Duvet Cover Set
Overstock.com
27 Inch Modular Track by Legrand
$99.99 | Lumens
Couristan 5714-0136 Urbane Tan Indoor/Outdoor Rug Multicolor - 57140136038055T
$49.00 | Hayneedle
Porcelain Bathroom Sink
MR Direct Sinks and Faucets
96 Inch Industrial Ceiling Fan
Lightology