Help identify my grass, please

ncResidentApril 2, 2014

Hi,
I'm new to owning a home with a lawn, and want to make sure that I am pro-active with the care, re-seeding, etc.

I followed the guide at http://www.agry.purdue.edu/turf/tool/instructions/instructions.htm, and I THINK that I have tall fescue but I would appreciate if someone can look over the pictures I posted at Imgur to validate.

I appreciate the help, and look forward to becoming a member of this site. Here is a link to the album with various closeup shots:
http://imgur.com/a/HTQmi

Here is a link that might be useful: Imgur album

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
gardengal48

Most turf grasses tend to be blends with a couple of distinct exceptions, usually associated with hot and rather dry climates. I would be very surprised if you lawn wasn't a blend of different turf grasses as well. And those blends are extremely hard to differentiate, especially with only a photo.

I'd suggest taking a sample to your local extension service for an accurate ID. And after identification, they will be able to guide you with your care needs - unfortunately, info from Purdue (Indiana) is not going to be very relevant for the southern Atlantic coast :-))
You could also try posting in the Lawn Care forum or your regional forum. Not sure they'd be able to ID exactly for you but can certainly help with regionally appropriate care tips.

Bookmark   April 2, 2014 at 6:47PM
ncResident

Thanks for the reply gardenGal

Bookmark   April 3, 2014 at 8:30AM
gardenper(8)

Your first pic looks like the fescue in my yard, where it doesn't really grow that thick together (still can see patches of ground). But the second picture looks like a pretty nice thick growth.

It is evergreen in my area (not sure if there is a zone it might go dormant in), and it grows well in shade and is heat-tolerant. If it only would grow thicker, I'd very much enjoy it to be my grass of choice in my lawn, but since it grows sparsely, it just looks like a weed in the winter/early spring season and doesn't fill in the lawn all the way in the spring and summer seasons.

Bookmark   April 3, 2014 at 10:45AM
More Discussions
brilliant yellow flowering shrub in new england?
This was found in New England (MA/RI). It's a deciduous...
maggiepie11
What is this vine and how do I get rid of it?
This vine takes over my container garden every year....
acdaminski
Fat taproot, smooth-leaf basal rosette - ID it before friend eats it!
Anyone know this one? Growing in upper SC & the...
sustainahillbilly
Please identify
Growing in North Alabama Thank you
sweet_betsy No AL Z7
Sponsored Products
Cirrus Bowl Pendant
$698.00 | Bellacor
Simple Living Leena Storage Chaise
Overstock.com
Luminescent Rug 3'6" x 5'6" - PLT/BLUE GRAY
$379.00 | Horchow
Bramble - Provence 3 Drawer Dresser Large with Tin Drawers in...
Great Furniture Deal
Fire Magic 53920-SL Echelon Single Access Door - 20 x 14 - Left Hinge - 53920-SL
$245.65 | Hayneedle
Larkspur Beach Amber One-Light Pendant with Satin Nickel Canopy
$655.20 | Bellacor
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™