A few plant questions...

bellarosa(z5/IL)March 29, 2006

Hi all,

I have a few questions on some plants that are new to me:

- Hellebores: I planted one last year and I noticed that its green at the base. Will it bloom its first year and if so, when?

- Oriental poppies: Another plant that I put in my garden last year. I planted 'Manhattan' and 'Indian Chief'. I saw some frilly growth at the base of the tag. Looks like a good sign. When do these bloom?

- Tree peony: I have one that I planted in the Fall, but it looks dead! Ugh! I'm especially bummed out 'cause my mom gave it to me! I haven't told her. I'm wondering if its dead for sure. It looks like it. There's another tree peony that's next to it and it has some new growth. How can I be sure that the original peony is alive?

- Sundrops: I have some sundrops in my yard. I don't know the name of them. I noticed that the foliage is a deep wine red. Is this normal?

Okay, I think that's it for questions. Thanks all!

Evelyn

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
putzer(z4 WI)

I can answer your question about your Sundrops-the foliage is wine red on mine as well. Pretty, isn't it? I know they really want to take over the garden, but I love 'em anyway.

Bookmark   March 29, 2006 at 10:27PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
ccsuzy(z6 IN)

I don't know if hellebores bloom the first year, I can't remember with mine when it bloomed the first time. But mine are blooming now and have been for about a month.

Poppies for me bloom in June, I think. Mine are quite frilly right now (foliage).

Bookmark   March 30, 2006 at 7:06PM
More Discussions
Achillea sun requirements
I planted a couple of these last year and they were...
DandyLioness (CA 9, SZ 14)
PSA: Please set up messaging feature in your profile!
Not sure if you guys are aware you are able to do this....
mxk3
Potentilla question
Does anyone have experience with Potentilla fruticosa...
waynez5_ia
Mason Bees)
Does anyone here encourage Mason Bees to stick around...
mikerno_1micha
Your Monkshood?
I have an established stand of some unnamed aconitum...
rouge21_gw
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™