Type/name of cedar, juniper or ??

JamieApril 6, 2014

I love the smiling habit of the branches and I'd like to take care of it, but need to know what it is. The trunk has lots of vertical ridges like cedar, and it's shedding a thin lighter brown skin.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
saltcedar(Sunset zn 30/usda 8b)

"Hinoki cypress"?

Here is a link that might be useful:

Bookmark   April 6, 2014 at 5:03PM
gardengal48

It's definitely not the cultivar 'Nana' but it IS a Hinoki cypress. FWIW, there are literally hundreds of cultivars of Hinoki and some vary only very subtly. 'Nana' is characterized by its demure, compact size and extremely slow growth, not at all evident in the habit of this shrub. The good news is, pretty much all Hinoki cypress prefer the same growing conditions so specific cultivars are not a huge issue except for curiosity.

Bookmark   April 6, 2014 at 6:31PM
Jamie

Thank you both so very much.

It is getting brown in the middle, I hope not because it is depressed that we had to take down the Ginko (stinko) nearby.

Also, it's not as slow growing as would be ideal. It and the slow growing boxwood next to it are impeding each other.

Thanks again for the ID. Now I can act!

Bookmark   April 6, 2014 at 6:46PM
gardengal48

Browning in the middle of most species and cultivars of Chamaecyparis is completely common......but not their best feature. And the obvious lack of sufficiently slow growth is one of the reasons this is very unlikely to be a 'Nana'

Bookmark   April 6, 2014 at 7:31PM
ken_adrian Adrian MI cold Z5

therer is a conifer forum.. if you think you might be interested in such ...

i have about 10 named varieties.. frankly i can tell them apart ...

being a conifer they hold their needles usually 1 to 3 years ... the oldest needles are interior .. and as such.. are shed ... you can run a hand thru there and knock them loose.. but dont let them pile up inside too much over the years .... when they dry out later in summer.. they knock down easily ...

the level of shedding is sometimes increased by any stressor.. like transplant.. drought.. extended heat etc ... its all normal ...

life is all i the the growth tips.. and yours sure looks happy ...

as it is not a recent transplant.. there is nothing that you need to do .. PERIOD ... no fert.. ever.. perhaps a deep soaking if drought rolls thru ... but do not treat it like an annual or perennial ...

some selective pruning to keep that walkway clear is all it might ever need ... but that might be years away ... it is not an aggressive grower..

see you in the other forum if you need more info ...

ken

Bookmark   April 7, 2014 at 8:10AM
metasequoiafree

chamaecyparis obtusa 'compacta'. not as slow growing as 'nana'. more like 10' but in 20 years.

Bookmark   April 7, 2014 at 9:13PM
bboy(USDA 8 Sunset 5 WA)

Has yellow tips indicating it is a yellow cultivar, ones that don't have a dominance of yellow (or white) are on the market.

Bookmark   April 8, 2014 at 1:10AM
More Discussions
Unknown Herb
I planted this back in 2011 and never really knew what...
ButcheredGardens ON CAN
I think it's an Aloe? Help please!
Would love some help on this succulent. I think it's...
seejay1986
Assorted Foliage Houseplant needs ID
What is this plant? It is only labeled as assorted...
rachelthepoet
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™