quotes 4 - 30 -13

don_socalApril 30, 2013

The sound of the mandolin is a very curious sound because it's cheerful and melancholy at the same time, and I think it comes from that shadow string, the double strings.
Rita Dove

To love someone is to isolate him from the world, wipe out every trace of him, dispossess him of his shadow, drag him into a murderous future. It is to circle around the other like a dead star and absorb him into a black light.
Jean Baudrillard

The light of lights looks always on the motive, not the deed, the shadow of shadows on the deed alone.
William Butler Yeats

Shadow is a colour as light is, but less brilliant; light and shadow are only the relation of two tones.
Paul Cezanne

Beware lest you lose the substance by grasping at the shadow.
Aesop

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
lilosophie

Interesting quotes! The second one is downright scary, but it is the wording more than the concept, it sounds so dire.
The light and the shadow are both part of the same, it's the yin and the yang and one cannot exist without the other;
You really got me thinking this morning, have not even had a whole cup of coffee yet and type with one hand - cat on my lap

Bookmark   April 30, 2013 at 9:37AM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
west_gardener

I agree, the second has some scary words and I don't know about the concept.
Jean Baudrillard , was french and perhaps something got lost in the translation.
I The Paul Cezanne quote speaks to me. But in reality my experiments with colors and shadows have been abject failures. My hat to all artists.

Bookmark   April 30, 2013 at 6:57PM
More Discussions
Quotes 2 - 27 - 15
Grief can be the garden of compassion. If you keep...
don_socal
Quotes 2 - 21 - 15
Life is a lot like jazz... it's best when you improvise. George...
don_socal
Finally some Snow in Georgia
We have snow. The ground is covered. The streets are...
janis_b
If it isn't one thing...
Seems everyone has a story of weather and related problems,...
lilosophie
Remembering Mitzi
My step-mother had a sister named Lyle. A real free...
gandle
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™