Friday April 27, 2012

coconut_njApril 27, 2012

Oh Beautiful for smoggy skies, insecticided grain, For strip-mined mountain's majesty above the asphalt plain. America, America, man sheds his waste on thee, And hides the pines with billboard signs, from sea to oily sea.

George Carlin Comedian, actor, author

As crude a weapon as the cave man's club, the chemical barrage has been hurled against the fabric of life.

Rachel Carson Writer, scientist, and ecologist 1907-1964

Until a man duplicates a blade of grass, Nature can laugh at his so-called scientific knowledge. Remedies from chemicals will never stand in favorable comparison with the products of Nature, the living cell of a plant, the final result of the rays of the sun, the mother of all life.

Thomas Alva Edison Inventor 1847-1931

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
anneliese_32(6)

I hate to fly over Eastern Kentucky, West Virginia. As much as I love window seats, I try not to look out there, those destroyed mountains are so hard to look at.
Good reminders for all of us.

Bookmark   April 27, 2012 at 8:21AM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
west_gardener

I remember visiting an abandoned Tin mine in Malasia and it was horrendous. The had mined top down and there were huge craggy holes in the earth as far as the eye could see.
We were on a tour and the guide and the few people that lived near the craters seemed proud to show off their "natural resources".
They explained that their tin products and workmanship were all over the world.

Bookmark   April 27, 2012 at 7:07PM
More Discussions
And just because it is Dr. Seuss Day
The more you read, The more you know. The more you...
anneliese32
Quotes 3 - 3 - 15
Late afternoon on the West Coast ends with the sky...
don_socal
If it isn't one thing...
Seems everyone has a story of weather and related problems,...
lilosophie
Quotes 3 - 2 - 15
I was so naive as a kid I used to sneak behind the...
don_socal
Sooty says: it fits
They do find the darnest places to take a nap, on my...
lilosophie
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™