Sunday April 22, 2012

coconut_njApril 22, 2012

Happy Earth Day! It's been widely said that in 1970 over 20 million Americans celebrated that first Earth Day in some fashion or other. Many did simple things like plant something, and over a million showed up in Washington to celebrate. A real boon to environmental consciousness worldwide, that's impacted us to this day.

This week I celebrate Earth Day and The Environment. Hope you enjoy the quotes.

Everything is connected. Connectivity is going to be the key to addressing these issues, like contaminants and climate change. They're not just about contaminants on your plate. They're not just about the ice depleting. They're about the issue of humanity. What we do every day -- whether you live in Mexico, the United States, Russia, China ... can have a very negative impact on an entire way of life for an entire people far away from that source.

- Sheila Watt-Cloutier, Inuit activist

There would be very little point in my exhausting myself and other conservationist themselves in trying to protect animals and habitats if we weren't at the same time raising young people to be better stewards.

- Dr. Jane Goodall Primatologist, ethologist and anthropologist

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
anneliese_32(6)

That sometimes citydwellers don't get how things interconnect in nature I can halfway understand. But you even have farmers who think if it does not happen in their back forty it is of no consequence. So the ocean level rises an inch - what difference does it make! The ocean never will get to here. What has the deforestatin in the Amazon have to do with anything, etc. etc. As long as it does not affect people right now, this minute, they don't care.

I'm of my soapbox, excuse me please. Just had yesterday one of those hit your head against the wall days on that subject.

Bookmark   April 22, 2012 at 7:51AM
lilosophie

Good morning, good Earth-Day! Anneliese, I feel your pain, this hitting head against the wall, it hurts.

Bookmark   April 22, 2012 at 9:21AM
west_gardener

Take heart, the tree huggers/planters are out in force in CA. I went to a hardware/garden store today, they had a parking lot tent sale of trees and all that's needed to plant a tree. The lot was full and the lines long at check out.
I went there to buy some herbs, but the wild tree huggers were in a frenzy so I'll go back tomorrow.
Have you hugged a tree lately? I gave my Naval Orange tree a "you go girl" this morning.

Bookmark   April 22, 2012 at 6:35PM
coconut_nj

It really poured here all day. In fact it just slowed up now. I gave all the indoor plants a pep talk and worked on some recycling and reusing. Smiles.

Anneliese, I get into those discussions around here too, with farmers. We have Farmland Preservation and a lot of farmers defend those who sell their land to the developers saying preservation won't make a difference... ...

Bookmark   April 23, 2012 at 12:49AM
More Discussions
Quotes 3 - 14 - 15
In ancient times cats were worshipped as gods; they...
don_socal
Quotes 3 - 20 - 15
Do you realize that if you fall into a black hole,...
don_socal
When is Spring?
A count down to spring.http://days.to/spring/2015
west_gardener2
Weather, it's still winter
and we are having a heat wave , temps from 70-80 degrees;...
west_gardener2
Quotes 4 - 1 - 15
The most important things are the hardest things to...
don_socal
Sponsored Products
Varaluz Dreamweaver 22" Wide ADA Compliant Sconce
Lamps Plus
Clear Blue Donald Chair
$52.99 | zulily
Parker House - Venezia 77" 5 Piece Entertainment Wall Unit -...
Great Furniture Deal
N/A Mirrors Austen 30 in. L x 22 in. W Wall Mounted Mirror in Dark Cherry red
Home Depot
Virtu USA MS-2048-WMRO-ES 48 Caroline - Espresso - Single Sink Bath Vanity
Blue Bath
Kraus C-GV-100-12mm-1810CH Crystal Clear Glass Vessel Sink and Visio Faucet - Ch
$229.95 | Hayneedle
Adesso Pegs Stainless Steel Standing Coat Rack - WK2055-22
$89.99 | Hayneedle
Prandina | Gong Small S1 Pendant Light
$760.00 | YLighting
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™