do rabbits eat peas?

mwoodsApril 11, 2008

Every year bar none there is always a surprise somewhere in the garden and I'm sure all of you with gardens know exactly what i'm talking about. I just dug up my pea patch, poked in the brush and planted the peas. This is a large rectangular area and I always leave the middle area alone and mulched with the leaves that are already there. when I finished planting, I noticed the leaves moving around so knew something was under there. Sure enough,it was a rabbit nest with babies sqealing for their milk. I covered them back up and they quieted down waiting for mama to stop her foraging and come and feed them. This usually happens somewhere or other in the gardens and but never in the vegetable garden. When they are finally hippy hopping around,do you think they'll eat my peas?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
oscarthecat(z7MD)

Probably not without a good cream sauce. Steve in Baltimore County.

Bookmark   April 11, 2008 at 11:41AM
rhizo_1 (North AL) zone 7

Let's just say that Mama wabbit knew what she was doing when she had her babies there.

Bookmark   April 11, 2008 at 12:17PM
instar8(Z 5 N.IN)

Yes, rabbits eat peas...but i've had rabbits breeding in the garden that didn't bother them...instead, the slugs ate 'em. I know because I was out there with a flashlight and a bottle of ammonia water curdling the little slimeballs. The little fuzzbunnies were such good hiders, i'd be picking beans or weeding and almost touch one before i saw those big brown eyes.

Where I live now, they've eaten pea sprouts (and green bean sprouts) at times, sometimes they left them for the deer. This year, I have three dogs, which should put a stop to resident rabbits and derelict deer...so i suppose the slugs are queing up already, just waiting for sprouts...sigh.

Bookmark   April 11, 2008 at 3:01PM
andie_rathbone(Tyler, TX - 7B)

Marda, I'm trying to find something that rabbits won't eat.

Bookmark   April 11, 2008 at 8:15PM
lindac(Iowa Z 5/4)

I once fenced a nest of bunnies into the garden with my broccoli and lettuce. Couldn't figure out why they kept being eaten when I had fenced them in. Not sure how Momma bun bun got in to feed them, but either my fence wasn't as secure as I had hoped or the bunnies were subsisting on broccoli and Romaine.
To answer your question....you bet your bippy they eat peas!
Linda C

Bookmark   April 11, 2008 at 9:38PM
More Discussions
Finally some Snow in Georgia
We have snow. The ground is covered. The streets are...
janis_b
Quotes 2 - 18 - 15
Goodness is about character - integrity, honesty, kindness,...
don_socal
Quotes 2 - 24 - 15
Most visions of extraterrestrial life are actually...
don_socal
Quotes 2 - 23 - 15
Weakness of attitude becomes weakness of character. Albert...
don_socal
Quotes 2 - 19 - 15
In the depth of winter I finally learned that there...
don_socal
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™