offering of Rocks

e5097April 15, 2012

I just moved to the Shore area of New Jersey. I'm attempting, with this being the first time I've ever had a yard, to plant my garden in the front of my house. The previous owners filled the yard with white rocks, if anyone would like them, for free, please let me know and you may have them. I also would like to know if anyone can tell me the name of a plant, it's all leaves. Just big leaves. When they came out of the ground they looked like little horns. I don't know what they are called but they look great with the tulips that are in the yard. I would like to add more, but I don't know what to buy. Any assistance would be great!

Thanks

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
petaloid(SoCal 10a/24)

I'll put a link below to garden club in your state -- someone who lives nearby might be able to look at your mystery plant and identify it.

The Long Beach Island branch is in the Shore area, and maybe others as well.

Some of the local garden club members may want your white rocks too:

Here is a link that might be useful: New Jersey Garden Clubs

Bookmark   April 15, 2012 at 3:23PM
jazmynsmom(Z5 Madison-ish)

Are you talking about hostas? If so, most are shade lovers, so be aware what you're planting where.

Good luck getting rid of your rocks. The previous owners of our home used a lot as "mulch" (which is both ugly and pointless, IMO) and I had a dickens of a time trying to find someone to take them off my hands. I ended up finding a neighbor with equally misguided gardening ideas and delivered them by the wheelbarrow to her. Your best bet is probably posting it on a local Freecycle board.

Take your time in making changes to your yard. You may be chomping at the bit to personalize it, but this can be disastrous before you understand the sunlight and drainage patterns and the soil quality on your property. Neighbors with gardens you admire and local botanical gardens are great places to learn about what blooms how, when, and where before you invest time, money, and backpower into redoing your yard.

Bookmark   April 15, 2012 at 4:11PM
west_gardener

They have a place here on Garden Web called Name that Plant. Link below. Good Luck

Here is a link that might be useful: Name that plant

Bookmark   April 15, 2012 at 4:11PM
More Discussions
And just because it is Dr. Seuss Day
The more you read, The more you know. The more you...
anneliese32
Quotes 3 - 3 - 15
Late afternoon on the West Coast ends with the sky...
don_socal
Quotes 2 - 23 - 15
Weakness of attitude becomes weakness of character. Albert...
don_socal
Quotes 2 - 26 - 15
God has cared for these trees, saved them from drought,...
don_socal
Got a little bit of snow
After a day of rain and more rain we got sleet and...
anneliese32
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™