Name That Rock

jekeesl (south-central Arkansas)(7b)April 7, 2013

We have areas here with multi-colored rock as shown. Those sites often have pretty unusual wildflowers, so I often wonder what type of rock it is. It's often mixed with sandstone, and is sometimes seen around shale outcrops, but the ones I'm most curious about are multicolored, in shades of blue, yellow, orange, and tan. Those rocks are usually in small to medium pieces less than 2 inches thick.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
ken_adrian Adrian MI cold Z5

many wildflowers.. thrive in soil with SHARP drainage ...

and the best sharp drained soil.. is rocky ....

in the mountains.. its called scree .... and the wildflowers love it .. see link ..

i too would like to know the rock.. but i doubt the rock itself is the key.. its the drainage of the soil ..

ken

Here is a link that might be useful: link

Bookmark   April 8, 2013 at 8:19AM
fatamorgana2121(Zone 5/6)

It is beautiful. Is the rock soft like shale? Shale can come in other colors depending upon what other minerals are present.

Either way, if you look for geological resources for Arkansas, you should be able to find some suggestions as to what it might be given the location. I linked in one that I found. A local geologist could also tell you. Look for a local rock and mineral club, museum, or college for leads to a local rock expert.

FataMorgana

Here is a link that might be useful: Arkansas Geology

Bookmark   April 8, 2013 at 5:51PM
ken_adrian Adrian MI cold Z5

at my link.. down the page..a big black block for some cave.. the next pic.. looks similar...

ken

Bookmark   April 8, 2013 at 7:45PM
wally_1936(8b)

Looks like petrified wood

Bookmark   April 8, 2013 at 11:02PM
jekeesl (south-central Arkansas)(7b)

Thanks for the link and suggestions fatmorgana. It took me a while to follow up. Those multicolored rocks are, as you suggested, shale. They're probably from the Womble formation, sometimes dense in coverage and mixed in with localized pockets of embedded limestone. The resultant shale barrens are inhospitable to most introduced species, and often host wildflowers that are unknown outside of Arkansas.

Bookmark   April 9, 2013 at 6:11AM
fatamorgana2121(Zone 5/6)

Very cool. Thanks for the follow up. It is always nice to know what people have found out. When I was a little kid I waffled between being a geologist and an archaeologist - neither happened but I have retained a healthy love for both and enjoyed the follow up.

By the way, our shale here is a very dull, grey color but it is loaded with fossils - trilobites, corals, shells, and more. The rock is so soft you can often work the fossils loose with your fingers.

FataMorgana

Our local shale:

A fossil (brachiopod) that popped loose of the shale boulder above with just fingers:

Bookmark   April 12, 2013 at 8:14PM
More Discussions
Silk flower NOID
Need help to identify what flower this is an imitation...
donrawson
Plant name?
I need your help to find out this plant name. Thank...
xorxe
Can Anyone ID this Disease on My Iris
Need help identifying the problem with these iris.
btalarczyk
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™