Deck stains

shilty(6)April 13, 2011

Hello folks!

Its time to stain the deck - been shopping - need to know what your experience is - always know you folks know what is what.

By your experience, which may be the longer lasting stain, Behr, Olmypic, or Cabot?

I don't wanna do this more than I have to - will work hard on it, and want to know the stain I choose will work just as hard.

Please respond - quote your neighbors, or whatever you can - I have to make a decision!

s

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
don_socal

Do not have any decks but have a bench made of teak wood the we coat with hot linseed oil every year then wipe off the excess.

Bookmark   April 13, 2011 at 11:05PM
lilod(NoCal/8)

I have redwood decks, built in '65, when redwood was still affordable and they have never been stained or treated in any way, have aged to a grayish tone, look old and worn, but just right to me. Extreme heat in summer and so much rain in winter would make a stained deck always needing work, so I am happy with my decision

Bookmark   April 14, 2011 at 10:26AM
west_gardener

I've never had a deck so I'm not able to speak to that point of view. But I've used Behr products and I like them very much. A cyber friend, who has built several decks, mostly in the CO area swears by Thompson's water seal.See link below. Whatever you choose, make sure the stain and sealant are compatible.

Here is a link that might be useful: Deck Sealant

Bookmark   April 14, 2011 at 7:10PM
meldy_nva(z6b VA)

I don't know if this will be of interest:
http://ths.gardenweb.com/forums/load/porch/msg0923184828415.html
Note the emphasis on prepping the deck.

A friend used a polymerized tung oil on all exposed wood, it looks good so far but is only two years old. OTOH, there seems to be a lot of annual upkeep with most finishes, so maybe two-three years is okay. BTW, Tung oil is a penetrating finish, as opposed to a surface finish such as paint. In cabinet woodworking, pure tung oil is noted for taking a long time to dry (we're talking many days) but the polymerized tung is reasonably quick to dry, depending on the version, usually within a day.

Bookmark   April 15, 2011 at 2:11PM
More Discussions
Quotes 3 - 12 - 15
Gratitude unlocks the fullness of life. It turns what...
don_socal
Quotes 3 - 19 - 15
It takes courage to grow up and become who you really...
don_socal
The advantage of snow.
My forthysia hedges have a low border of blooms, about...
anneliese32
Quotes 3 - 28 - 15
To keep every cog and wheel is the first precaution...
don_socal
what was Y Day in 1939?
I am watching the WWw movie series Winds Of War. In...
quirkpod
Sponsored Products
Rapson | RapsonĀ® Rapid Rocker
YLiving.com
Roseling EZ Care Rug
$79.00 | FRONTGATE
Dayton Cherry Russet Stained Wood Shaker Kitchen Cabinet Sample
CliqStudios Cabinets
Warehouse of Tiffany Green Butterfly Accent Lamps (Set of 2)
Overstock.com
Solar Powered 50 Red White and Blue LED Rope Light KIt
$24.91 | Lamps Plus
Amber Drop Outdoor Post Top Lantern
Lightology
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™