I was told this is a passion fruit vine

wally_1936(8b)April 8, 2013

These are the seeds that have grown into these plants. I started them last fall they sprouted in the fall but took until we started to get warmer weather before they grew very much. The leaf miners and snails have eaten some of the leaves but you can see some of the complete leaves. The seeds are a dark-brown shaped somewhat like a small shelled pumpkin seed. I planted 3 seeds and these are the plants which came up so they are what sprouted from those seeds and nothing else. The penny gives an idea of the size of the seeds. They were sent to me from St. Louisa Island in the East Indies last fall. This gardenweb.com member says they are passion fruit seeds and I have no reason to doubt him but cannot find any passion fruit vine with this type leaf. With the speed they are now growing they should become a vine soon.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
saltcedar(Sunset zn 30/usda 8b)

Malva

Here is a link that might be useful: Malva

Bookmark   April 8, 2013 at 11:05PM
wally_1936(8b)

Looks right, if so I will be very happy, thank you very much. I did receive some Malva seeds from gardenhoard.com but they were tiny seeds. I see they seem to be different sizes so it would be nice as they sure are beautiful flowers.

I did get some cuttings of the passion vines from my neighbor and am trying to get them started. I placed them into water for over a month, during which time they never sprouted but they still look great.

This post was edited by wally-1936 on Mon, Apr 8, 13 at 23:18

Bookmark   April 8, 2013 at 11:11PM
thefof(NSW Aust)

Be warned! I hate Passion Fruit. I know and appreciate its beautiful flower but it has a nasty habit of spreading far and wide by shooting from its roots.
My neighbours, bless their cotton socks, planted one. They now have it all through the bed and lawn, even though they tried pulling it out, once they realised their mistake and I have it climbing all through a densely planted bed of large native shrubs. I have tried painting it with Round-Up, but it just sulked for a few days then started off again. Using 100% RU seems to have a bit more success.

Bookmark   April 9, 2013 at 8:19AM
bostedo(8a tx-bp-dfw)

Be warned! I hate Passion Fruit. I know and appreciate its beautiful flower but it has a nasty habit of spreading far and wide by shooting from its roots.

@ thefof: Just curious if this is the NA native passiflora incarnata with the three-lobed leaf or one of the five-lobed imports. I've heard the imports can behave this way, but am wondering if the native form is as bad.

Apologies for the side-bar, but the distinction can be important.

This post was edited by bostedo on Tue, Apr 9, 13 at 14:11

Bookmark   April 9, 2013 at 2:10PM
flora_uk(SW UK 8/9)

bostedo - thefof is in Australia so P incarnata wouldn't be native there.

Here is a link that might be useful: Passiflora in Australia

Bookmark   April 9, 2013 at 3:45PM
bostedo(8a tx-bp-dfw)

My bad - noob error of not switching context between forums... thought I was still in Texas.

Bookmark   April 9, 2013 at 5:36PM
thefof(NSW Aust)

@bostedo. Fret not, we all suffer these spacial shifts at times.
As flora-uk pointed out I am in the Land of Oz. My comment was a bit generalised, I must admit.
The plant I am fighting is one of the commercial varieties, the fruit of which wasn't that good either. :-)

Bookmark   April 10, 2013 at 6:00AM
More Discussions
Tree Identification Please
I have this tree growing near a quince and an apple...
mariahswind
another evergreen
I am not sure if it is something common that has been...
imcheetah
What is this ground cover around the Dudleya?
I discovered another Dudleya this morning in the middle...
Suzi AKA DesertDance Zone 9b
deanna12061979
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™