It is a main path

lilosophieApril 29, 2014

There are the poppies (weeds) on the overgrown path, mixed with grasses, it needs to be weed-whacked but I am so reluctant to do it!
The poppies don't transplant at all. I am thinking to wait until they begin to set seed and then pull them - I have some area where I could just spread them and let them naturalize. They are just so pretty!

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
anneliese_32(6)

I love California Poppies. I tried to grow some right after we moved in an a bit of hill, used seed, but I think they did not like our clay.

As you said, I would wait until they set seed and then spread it where you want it, Good luck.

Bookmark   April 29, 2014 at 7:30PM
gabriell_gw

Very pretty,hard to think of them as a weed.

Bookmark   April 29, 2014 at 10:22PM
rob333

I miss them so! so good to see them again. Enjoy them enough for me. Gorgeous.

Bookmark   April 30, 2014 at 11:44AM
jim_1 Zone 5B Illinois(5b)

It's one of those spring things. Ya gotta know what they look like and then dig deep. Move as much as you can, including whatever root structure there is. Have the new spot the same size and depth as the dug out stuff. Move the old to the new and the new to the old. Water the first coupla weeks. You should get about 35% success.

Bookmark   April 30, 2014 at 4:22PM
west_gardener

I have volunteer CA poppies all over the place, even in my garden boxes, They are so pretty that I let them stay until they start to seed, then I'll pull them, but they come back the next year.

Lilo, I think you have right idea in how to grow some poppies to another place, BTW, I don't do any kind of preparation to the soil where the volunteers appear.
As an aside, in the 40 years we been in this house, I've found them in everywhere, except the lawn.

Bookmark   April 30, 2014 at 5:45PM
More Discussions
A sad morning
Martha, of the green eggs, has passed on to the big...
lilosophie
Quotes 2 - 27 - 15
Grief can be the garden of compassion. If you keep...
don_socal
Where are you mwheel?
Miss your postings.
west_gardener2
Quotes 2 - 26 - 15
God has cared for these trees, saved them from drought,...
don_socal
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™