Remember the Postman.

west_gardenerApril 27, 2012

Our postman is retiering after 30 years on our beat. I would like to give him something, but I don't know what.

Any suggestions?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
lindac(Iowa Z 5/4)

A gift certificate to a restaurant in the town where he lives.

Bookmark   April 27, 2012 at 11:39PM
mawheel

Almost any kind of a gift card would be appreciated, especially one that could be used anywhere, like an American Express, Visa, MasterCard, etc.

Bookmark   April 28, 2012 at 8:26AM
mjmercer

You might want to check on post office regulations before you decide what to give him. I think it's actually illegal for mail carriers to accept cash gifts. But of course, that leaves a world of other gift possibilities. :o)

Karen

Bookmark   April 28, 2012 at 9:02AM
meldy_nva(z6b VA)

Along with a gift card (I agree that's what is likely to be most appreciated), a thank you letter that mentions the instances when he went "beyond the call of duty".

If you know his hobby/avocation, a card for something in that interest would feel more special. To be honest, I don't really remember which who gave me restuarant/generic gift cards at my retirement; I will never forget the ones who got together and gave me a gift card for my favorite plant nursery and another giftcard for a local fabric shop!

Bookmark   April 28, 2012 at 12:23PM
west_gardener

Thanks all for your suggestions. I think I'll go with a special "thank you card". I'm a little worried about giving him anything worth any money, as mjmercer mentioned.
He has worked so hard that I don't want to do anything to jinx his tetirement.

Bookmark   April 28, 2012 at 7:43PM
mawheel

Maybe a batch of homemade chocolate chip cookies to go with the card would be O.K. I know it would be fine with me, if I were the recipient! :>)

Bookmark   April 28, 2012 at 8:19PM
west_gardener

On the last day of our postman's delivery, we gave him a thank you card and a present. We thanked him for his excellent job and he said it was a pleasure to serve us all these years. We shook hands and wished each other good luck.
Since then, we have not had a mail delivery or anyone pick up our mail from the mailbox.
No matter how big an agency or a business, and individual can make a big difference.

Bookmark   September 10, 2012 at 7:27PM
kathyjane(z6VA)

Maybe that's their new way of doing things now, the person retires and so does the route.

---That is absurd how they just forgot you folks!
Are your neighbours getting any deliveries?

Bookmark   September 10, 2012 at 11:30PM
mrobbins(6b - Brooklyn)

How great that you could thank him and honor him. I get the shivers, though, to think that postal service might end like this, through attrition! Please keep us updated. I hope you get your mail soon.

Bookmark   September 11, 2012 at 11:48AM
west_gardener

I received some mail yesterday, it was after 5pm, so I don't know who actually delivered the mail because I don't think the PO delivers after 5pm. Last week my neighbor next door received some mail, but it was not his so he walked it down the block and delivered it himself.
I received some mail today, but the flyers from the local stores were not included.
Oh, I do miss our mailman.

Bookmark   September 11, 2012 at 7:18PM
More Discussions
Quotes 3 - 28 - 15
To keep every cog and wheel is the first precaution...
don_socal
Weather, it's still winter
and we are having a heat wave , temps from 70-80 degrees;...
west_gardener2
My Father the Philosopher - a story
My father the philosopher The regulars here are literate...
jim_1 Zone 5B Illinois
Quotes 3 - 17 - 15
Green is the prime color of the world, and that from...
don_socal
Happy St. Patrick's Day
HAPPY ST. PATRICK'S DAY! II'm not wearing green and...
mawheel
Sponsored Products
Virgin Bean Bag Refill - 3 Cubic Feet - 9999999H
$31.83 | Hayneedle
Refurbished Galaga Arcade Game
FRONTGATE
Virgin Bean Bag Refill - 2.5 Cubic Feet - 1000001
$26.42 | Hayneedle
Here's a Toast to Breakfast Fun Set
$44.99 | Dot & Bo
Wine Cork Trivet Kit
| Dot & Bo
Flash Back Art Print
$15.99 | Dot & Bo
WS Bath Collections Calypso 72 Inch Modern Wood Freestanding Tub - Wenge Multico
Hayneedle
Native Union Key Cable Micro USB
$29.99 | FRONTGATE
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™