Sometimes I wonder????

agnespuffinApril 7, 2012

Sometimes I wonder about the education of some posters. I go to a geneolgy forum from time to time..

There was this thread about so many Americans having Native Americans amoung their ancestors.

One poster just sort of pooh-poohed the whole idea. She said that back in the 19th century it was not socially acceptable to marry Native Americans. Therefore that would have cut down on the breeding with them.

OH??? Think About how the West was back in the 1800s.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
lilosophie

Nothing you can do about that but roll your eyes

Bookmark   April 8, 2012 at 12:14AM
don_socal

There were few women that would venture into the wild west so the men found wives among the natives, just as has been the case in many countries the world over when war or exploration happens. We likely have more ancestors from slightly different peoples to very different peoples as a result.

The title of the thread made me think of the opening line of this song...

Here is a link that might be useful: Stardust

Bookmark   April 8, 2012 at 10:01AM
calliope(6)

By the 1800s there was already two hundred years of 'mingling' going on, and it started on the Eastern Seaboard when caucasians were the minority and often dependent on Indians to survive. Much of that 'mingling' happened before the push to the West, with the Eastern tribes before the great displacements. There were great pockets of those populations through Appalachia who stayed, relatively intact in obscurity as relocations happened and their roots to the old nations maintained soley through oral tradition. The census never even had the capacity to define native heritage until the roles were officially taken. So many families who mention stories of native heritage probably do have some, especially if they can trace their lineage in this country back early enough. Yes........it's an eye roller. My aunt was born on an Eastern reservation and I asked her btw if it offended her when someone referred to as Indian, instead of Native American and she just laughed and said Indian is easier to say and she was too old to bother changing it over to politically correct lingo.

Bookmark   April 8, 2012 at 10:04AM
More Discussions
Quotes 2 - 22 - 15
Man is a universe within himself. Bob Marley Prejudice...
don_socal
And just because it is Dr. Seuss Day
The more you read, The more you know. The more you...
anneliese32
Quotes 2 - 26 - 15
God has cared for these trees, saved them from drought,...
don_socal
Just went to the grocery store
and as we left a woman followed us out by less than...
don_socal
More rain.
We need it, looks like the next three or four days...
don_socal
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™