Help Identifying this bush

Garden_FairyMay 5, 2014

Hi,

I have only owned my home for a little over a year. Along my fence line I have about 8 of these bushes. Last year they did not look to good. They were very sparse. They did not get any flowers on them. Does anyone have any idea what it is? Thank you in advance :)

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
Garden_Fairy

Here is a close up of the leaves.

Bookmark   May 5, 2014 at 12:51AM
floral_uk z.8/9 SW UK

I'd say Ribes. For the species wait for another opinion from your neck of the woods.

Bookmark   May 5, 2014 at 6:25AM
ken_adrian Adrian MI cold Z5

i was going to say it looks like my alpine currant... which is a type of ribes ... but they would have bright yellow flowers.. small.. en mass... with a red eye.. and smell of clove ....

are they in full sun??? ....

these are usually very old plantings.... and often.. were in full sun when planted .. 10.. 20.. 30 years ago ... but as shade trees grow.. they begin to underperform in shade ...

since we dont know the history.. nor much other info.. its all speculation .... but the bottom line is... if you arent lovin them.. then think long and hard about just being done with them ...

the happiest day at my first house.. when i got rid of the last problem the prior owners had left... why it took me 5 years to finally do it.. is beyond me.. in hindsight.. lol.. mostly because there was no WWW, and some guy telling me to get rid of problem plants.. lol ...

get rid of them.. and plant your own nightmares for the next owner.. lol...

ken

Bookmark   May 5, 2014 at 7:40AM
linaria_gw

There is Ribes alpinum with very insignificant flowers, which has very similar foliage

Bookmark   May 5, 2014 at 8:15AM
Garden_Fairy

Thank you all for your feedback! I greatly appreciate it. They are in a very heavily shaded area - 3 tall pine trees and 2 other trees. Moss grows in this area because the ground gets wet and is heavily shaded. I did a google search, now that I know what it is, and saw what the bushes should look like when performing well. My bushes are pitiful in comparison! I think I will get rid of them. Again, thank you all for your help :)

Bookmark   May 5, 2014 at 6:14PM
floral_uk z.8/9 SW UK

As far as I know we haven't definitely identified it yet any more precisely than deciding on the genus. So you can't yet know for certain what it should look like. There are many Ribes species. Ken's 'alpine currant' sounds like Ribes odoratum. Linaria's is Ribes alpina. There are many others. If it flowers we can probably help you further.

Bookmark   May 6, 2014 at 1:55PM
More Discussions
Rosemary exact species name please (Qatar)
Hi Guys Can you please name the exact species of this...
maufie123
Silver and Fuzzy
Bought this as an annual last year, but it's living...
sandyslopes z5 northern UT
Silk flower NOID
Need help to identify what flower this is an imitation...
donrawson
Identifying hedge plant, and why its going brown?
I have many of these evergreen hedges around my garden...
Vivre
Plant name?
I need your help to find out this plant name. Thank...
xorxe
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™