Quote 5/17

lilod(NoCal/8)May 18, 2011

And on the subject of burning books: I want to congratulate librarians, not famous for their physical strength or their powerful political connections or their great wealth, who, all over this country, have staunchly resisted anti-democratic bullies who have tried to remove certain books from their shelves, and have refused to reveal to thought police the names of persons who have checked out those titles.

So the America I loved still exists, if not in the White House or the Supreme Court or the Senate or the House of Representatives or the media. The America I love still exists at the front desks of our public libraries.

Kurt Vonnegut (A Man Without a Country)

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
anneliese_32(6)

The defenders of our libraries are the secret heroes. Having lived with "forbidden" literature I really appreciate them, especially the school librarians who still seem to be under the gun every time you turn around.
Thanks Lilo and Kurt Vonnegut.

Bookmark   May 18, 2011 at 6:44AM
lilod(NoCal/8)

Anneliese, you and I both! That is why this quote so appealed to me

Bookmark   May 18, 2011 at 9:24AM
west_gardener

I agree with the quote. And I think librarians are special people.
After 911, I wondered what the he@@ terrorism was all about and I wanted to know more about it. My natural tendency was to go to the library and check out some books on the subject.However, there were factions in this country that wanted the names of everyone that checked out books on the subject.
It smelled like "Mckarthyism" to me.
I read that our library system was against turning over names, so I went down and checked out a couple of books.
I was under no illusion that my name would not come out at some point if the pressure on the library system became to great, or maybe not.
So thanks to the library system for standing up for the freedom to read books.

Bookmark   May 19, 2011 at 7:14PM
More Discussions
Finally some Snow in Georgia
We have snow. The ground is covered. The streets are...
janis_b
Quotes 2 - 24 - 15
Most visions of extraterrestrial life are actually...
don_socal
Quotes 2 - 17 - 15
No one saves us but ourselves. No one can and no one...
don_socal
Quotes 2 - 25 - 15
It suddenly struck me that that tiny pea, pretty and...
don_socal
Quotes 2 - 18 - 15
Goodness is about character - integrity, honesty, kindness,...
don_socal
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™