Quote 5/21

lilod(NoCal/8)May 21, 2011

Love is where you find it. I think it is foolish to go around looking for it, and I think it can be poisonous. I wish people who are conventionally supposed to love each other would say to each other, when they fight, Please-a little less love, and a little more common decency.

Kurt Vonnegut

But by accident, not by cunning calculation, books, because of their weight and texture, and because of their sweetly token resistance to manipulation, involve our hands and eyes, and then our minds and souls, in a spiritual adventure I would be very sorry for my grandchildren not to know about.

Kurt Vonnegut (Timequake)

And from another source,, but fitting in

Whenever your inner life is clouded, your influence in the world is under a shadow. If you are fearful, you will be attacked; if you cloak genuine mysteries in dogma, opportunities for new insight will be lost. If you vacillate in upholding your principles, you will be tested. Yet, when you are firm and strong, the power of truth can break through even the most stubborn minds

The I Ching

Hope I didn't overdose you with my hero Kurt. I think he has a lot to say

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
kathyjane(z6VA)

I'll be a dedicated reader of anything of his you'd like to post, Lilo.

You made a very rainy, sullen past week seem a little brighter and a lot more interesting.
Thank you very much!

Bookmark   May 21, 2011 at 10:54AM
mawheel

Thanks for a week of good quotes, Lilo.

Bookmark   May 21, 2011 at 1:24PM
batyabeth

Been reading Kurt off and on since I was about 14 - that's the early 70's - and when much of what he wrote was on somebody's censorship list.

At a bookstore I used to frequent, the seller had a button: "I read banned books". My kind of gal.
Thanks Lilo

Bookmark   May 21, 2011 at 2:48PM
anneliese_32(6)

Thanks for a great week. Slaughterhouse Five is the book which really got me to read all the rest. It's rare that a writer and a reader experience the same day in history on opposite sides of the fence. He was closer.

Bookmark   May 21, 2011 at 5:19PM
west_gardener

(Timequake) is a new term for me. But the term fits my life span. Going from no tec to living in Silicon Valley, the most high tec society in the world in the span of some 50 years has at times produced a "timequake". I'm still learning.

Bookmark   May 21, 2011 at 8:35PM
More Discussions
Happy Birthday, Don!
Have a great Day, a wonderful year. Wishing you improved...
lilosophie
Quotes 2 - 28 - 15
When you get into a tight place and everything goes...
don_socal
Quotes 2 - 21 - 15
Life is a lot like jazz... it's best when you improvise. George...
don_socal
Quotes 2 - 24 - 15
Most visions of extraterrestrial life are actually...
don_socal
Quotes 2 - 25 - 15
It suddenly struck me that that tiny pea, pretty and...
don_socal
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™