Unexpected daytime visitors

anneliese_32(6)May 15, 2013

I keep a bowl of cat kibbles at the backdoor for those roaming neighborhood cats, the mockingbirds like them when other food is scarces and jays, blackbirds and the occasional chipmunk like them too. Of course the nightshift of cats, racoons and possums don't say no either.
Since about 4 weeks a racoon showed up before it got dark, then in early evening and the last couple of days around noon, There is nothing wrong, it's lively, rollypolly and a speed climber who then stretches out on an oak branch and watches what's going on in the neighborhood.

This morning around 8 AM, the possum also visited, might have done so before, I just did not see it. What's going on, those guys are supposed to be in bed!

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
mawheel

He--and all your other visitors--know a good restaurant when they find it. :>)

My neighbor also keeps a bowl of dry cat food on her patio for the cats who roam, but the black birds and blue jays seem to eat most of it. The cats are too cautious to appear in the daytime, but not the birds. They come and go in a steady stream. I'm not sure about raccoons, though; there may be some in the area, but it may be too developed for them. I haven't seen any, anyway.

Bookmark   May 15, 2013 at 5:50PM
west_gardener

I wonder if they have changed their habits, because we changed their habitat? They are trying to adjust.

Bookmark   May 15, 2013 at 7:06PM
anneliese_32(6)

Just found out why the racoon comes during the day. It is blind on the right eye and most likely does not see well at night. My husband has the same problem and hates to go anywhere at night unless it is well lit, since his depth perception is gone and his sight is worse at night.

Bookmark   May 16, 2013 at 1:46PM
More Discussions
Quotes 2 - 25 - 15
It suddenly struck me that that tiny pea, pretty and...
don_socal
Remembering Mitzi
My step-mother had a sister named Lyle. A real free...
gandle
If it isn't one thing...
Seems everyone has a story of weather and related problems,...
lilosophie
Quotes 2 - 28 - 15
When you get into a tight place and everything goes...
don_socal
Quotes 2 - 26 - 15
God has cared for these trees, saved them from drought,...
don_socal
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™