Name this weed?

Arrietti(6)May 20, 2013

Can anyone tell me what this weed is called?
It is highly invasive in my garden. It spreads through its roots, and as you can see in the picture, it sometimes has white rhizomes or tubers. The lower part of the stem is often pinkish. No flowers.

I spend a lot of time digging out this weed as well as wild violets. If only they were worth something!

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
kaliaman

too bad you're not an herbalist, these plants are good for something! cheers

Bookmark   May 20, 2013 at 11:44AM
omedd

Kaliaman, that was a mean answer! Very unhelpful. Arietti I suggest you go on to Daves Garden where people try to really help.
I am not promoting DG but I love gardening and I am trying to study as I grow, I find the peer to peer support helpful and so I have registered over the years on several sites. I was simply shocked today that my reading of 3 posts HERE turned up unsympathetic responses in all 3!

Bookmark   May 20, 2013 at 12:46PM
esh_ga

Looks like a violet, perhaps.

Bookmark   May 20, 2013 at 12:48PM
Tiffany, purpleinopp GardenWeb, Z8b Opp, AL(8B AL)

Welcome to Gardenweb, Arietti and Omedd.

Kaliaman's response is not an accurate representation of the kind of comments usually offered in this forum, as I'm sure you'll see if you hang around a bit. I didn't see the point in adding such a rude comment either. As you probably know, the answers are offered voluntarily, so when someone who knows what this plant is sees this post, I'm sure a genuine answer will be offered.

Bookmark   May 20, 2013 at 12:54PM
jeanne

That's a Campanula, if you dig deeper where you dug that one up you'll probably find another layer of those giant roots. That's why they always come back when people dig them, they don't dig deep enough.

I personally am beginning to wonder if China is deep enough.

Bookmark   May 20, 2013 at 12:57PM
Arrietti(6)

Thanks everyone,
I think it is indeed Campanula (rapunculoides) or creeping bellflower. I had identified the flowers last summer but did not make the connection between them and the plant itself.

I do try to dig up its roots but that's harder to do on the rocky slope in the back.

Kaliaman, I am indeed not a herbalist, so no offense taken. If I was one, it would have been a lot more helpful to a) be given the name of the herb and b) be told the 'good for something' that you speak of.

Bookmark   May 20, 2013 at 3:40PM
fatamorgana2121(Zone 5/6)

Arrietti, it is enjoyable to look up such plants at the Plants for a Future Database. It includes the uses (edible, medicinal, and utilitarian) of thousands of plants. I included the entry for creeping bellflower below. For more fun, look up violets - perhaps Viola odorata. Lots and LOTS of uses. It does make you looks at your weeds in a different way! Enjoy and welcome to GW!

FataMorgana

Here is a link that might be useful: PFAF entry

Bookmark   May 20, 2013 at 4:52PM
More Discussions
help id plant please
can anyone id these plants please, they have been coming...
grice38
Mystery desert plant wtih bright orange seeds
Hi there! This plant was found while hiking near Tucson,...
kellibee1111
Please ID this plant
I think it came in an indoor pot of plants. It is...
elaineal
Can Anyone ID this Disease on My Iris
Need help identifying the problem with these iris.
btalarczyk
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™